Trying to get my Sulcata Habitat set up

MStacy

5 Year Member
I am finding loads of conflicting info everywhere! I need help please! Someone is giving us a 100 gallon aquarium for our new baby Sulcata. We are trying to get everything set up before we get her. She is 7 months old. My main question is lighting and heat. Do I need separate bulbs or can I get an all in one uvb and heat? Is that all I need, one heat/uvb source for her to bask in? Does her hideaway spot need to be heated and light or cool and dark? Our home is about 78 degrees.

MStacy

5 Year Member
I am finding loads of conflicting info everywhere! I need help please! Someone is giving us a 100 gallon aquarium for our new baby Sulcata. We are trying to get everything set up before we get her. She is 7 months old. My main question is lighting and heat. Do I need separate bulbs or can I get an all in one uvb and heat? Is that all I need, one heat/uvb source for her to bask in? Does her hideaway spot need to be heated and light or cool and dark? Our home is about 78 degrees.
Also, I'm in the US and trying to find the right bulb and lamp for it to go in. I'd like a clamp on, will that get low enough in a 100 gallon aquarium?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Please take a moment to read this. Everything is explained in here. After reading, please come back and ask for clarification or more detail on anything that is still fuzzy.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

These are good too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

What size is your 7 month old? 100 gallons is awfully small for one that age unless it was started dry and is still very small.

MStacy

5 Year Member
Please take a moment to read this. Everything is explained in here. After reading, please come back and ask for clarification or more detail on anything that is still fuzzy.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

These are good too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

What size is your 7 month old? 100 gallons is awfully small for one that age unless it was started dry and is still very small.
She's only 2 1/2 inches. How big should she be?

MStacy

5 Year Member
Yes, I'm reading that first article. I don't understand if I should get an all in one with uvb or just a basking light. Is it best to have them separated or together. We live in Florida and she will get a lot of outdoor light year round.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I used a ceramic heat emitter set on a thermostat and a mvb that stayed on all day. I used a temperature gun to set the right basking temp I needed under the mvb, which was 95-100. I changed the temperature by either raising or lowering the bulb. Glad you're setting up before you get your sulcata! I did the same.

MStacy

5 Year Member
I used a ceramic heat emitter set on a thermostat and a mvb that stayed on all day. I used a temperature gun to set the right basking temp I needed under the mvb, which was 95-100. I changed the temperature by either raising or lowering the bulb. Glad you're setting up before you get your sulcata! I did the same.
So, that is two separate lights? Over what area did you have each placed? Sorry if I'm sounding dense. I'm also looking for the best place to purchase these. Any suggestions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are 2.5 inches when they hatch. Do you have a weight? In grams? They are usually around 4" by 7 months if things have gone well. If they got the typical dry start, they sometimes grow at a very slow rate if at all.

1. If your tortoise is getting sun year round (its okay to skip a few weeks in winter if the weather is too cold), then I would use a 65 watt flood bulb for a basking area inside. Set it on a timer and raise or lower the fixture to get the correct temps as Blake explained.

2. Then you will need a long florescent tube to light up the rest of the tank. Read the package and get one in the 5000-6500K range for more natural looking light. The 2500K ones look yellow. You can run the florescent on the same timer for 12-13 hours as the heat lamp.

3. Then you will need a ceramic heating element (CHE) to maintain over all ambient at 80 or above 24/7. To do this it will need to be set on a thermostat. These are cheap and very easy to use. Don't let it scare you.

4. Alternatively, if you want your tortoise to have a UV boost when inside too, then you can use a mercury vapor bulb instead of the 65 watt flood. This shouldn't be necessary in your case, but it won't hurt anything either.

MStacy

5 Year Member
They are 2.5 inches when they hatch. Do you have a weight? In grams? They are usually around 4" by 7 months if things have gone well. If they got the typical dry start, they sometimes grow at a very slow rate if at all.

1. If your tortoise is getting sun year round (its okay to skip a few weeks in winter if the weather is too cold), then I would use a 65 watt flood bulb for a basking area inside. Set it on a timer and raise or lower the fixture to get the correct temps as Blake explained.

2. Then you will need a long florescent tube to light up the rest of the tank. Read the package and get one in the 5000-6500K range for more natural looking light. The 2500K ones look yellow. You can run the florescent on the same timer for 12-13 hours as the heat lamp.

3. Then you will need a ceramic heating element (CHE) to maintain over all ambient at 80 or above 24/7. To do this it will need to be set on a thermostat. These are cheap and very easy to use. Don't let it scare you.

4. Alternatively, if you want your tortoise to have a UV boost when inside too, then you can use a mercury vapor bulb instead of the 65 watt flood. This shouldn't be necessary in your case, but it won't hurt anything either.
I haven't "met" her yet. All I know is she's smaller than the other two babies and the owner said she was the size of a quarter when born. Here are some pics. She's the little one in the food dish and the little one in the back.

So you recommend three separate lights? I was hoping to leave my aquarium uncovered and have the uvb + heat murcury bulb on one end and a cooler spot on the other. I guess that's not enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-29-00-14-58.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-29-00-14-58.png
    655.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_2015-07-29-00-15-07.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-29-00-15-07.png
    593.6 KB · Views: 28

MStacy

5 Year Member
I haven't "met" her yet. All I know is she's smaller than the other two babies and the owner said she was the size of a quarter when born. Here are some pics. She's the little one in the food dish and the little one in the back.

So you recommend three separate lights? I was hoping to leave my aquarium uncovered and have the uvb + heat murcury bulb on one end and a cooler spot on the other. I guess that's not enough.
Where does the heating element go? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that. Is it a light or heat at the bottom of the tank. This is so overwhelming!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you looked at the Enclosures thread to see what other people do yet?
It is confusing but glad you came here rather than go to a pet store who will sell you anything to make profit.
Make sure none of your bulbs are coiled or looped as these can be dangerous to your tort.

I don't use a viv/tank so it may be slightly diff for me, but I use MVB (for heat, light and uv rays all in one bulb which is easier) and a CHE ceramic heat emitter which also uses a bulb fitting but is just heat, - great for night heat and used with a thermostat so it switches itself on and off when needed.
Hanging them is safer than clamps as these can fail and fall which is a burn/fire hazard so be careful with those.

Hope that at least helps clarify the use of MVB and CHE.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
i use a mercury vapour bulb (mvb) to supply heat, light and uv during the day when it's not possible for my tortoise to go outside.
A ceramic heat emitter (CHE) with a ceramic holder is used for night time heat on a thermostat.
No other heating element necessary.

MStacy

5 Year Member
Have you looked at the Enclosures thread to see what other people do yet?
It is confusing but glad you came here rather than go to a pet store who will sell you anything to make profit.
Make sure none of your bulbs are coiled or looped as these can be dangerous to your tort.

I don't use a viv/tank so it may be slightly diff for me, but I use MVB (for heat, light and uv rays all in one bulb which is easier) and a CHE ceramic heat emitter which also uses a bulb fitting but is just heat, - great for night heat and used with a thermostat so it switches itself on and off when needed.
Hanging them is safer than clamps as these can fail and fall which is a burn/fire hazard so be careful with those.

Hope that at least helps clarify the use of MVB and CHE.
Do you hang yours from a stand? I bought the MVB and CHE last night. I did get clamp on light fixtures for both.... I also bought a thermostat to control the heat, and a thermometer/humidity gauge. I hope all of this was right. I bought an extra large hollow log for her to sleep under. Does this area need to be damp and dark or dry and warm? Thanks.

I need a link to the enclosures post if anyone can help me. I'm only interested in indoor and desert breeds at this time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Sulcatas are a tropical species. They need warm temps, like what you'd find in the tropics, all the time. They do need a "cooler" end, but their cooler end still needs to be warm. Never below 80ish. If your house is 80 all the time, day and night, then you won't need the CHE. If your house ever drops below 80 then the CHE placed over the middle of the tank and connected to the thermostat will keep things warm enough for your baby. During the day when your heat lamp is on making the basking area, your CHE will likely stay off since the whole tank will be warm enough.

Covering the top will help hold in heat and humidity and make much better conditions for your new baby. It will also save you money as the heat will stay where you want it instead of floating up and into the room.

Every house, every room and every enclosure is different, so we can't tell you exactly how to do it perfectly for your situation. We can only make equipment and technique suggestions for you to start with. Set up the stuff we are talking about and then run it all and keep checking your temps and humidity. Make adjustments wherever needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where does the heating element go? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that. Is it a light or heat at the bottom of the tank. This is so overwhelming!

You can buy your fixture for it at Home Depot and it should hang somewhere around the middle of the enclosure so that it can heat the whole enclosure at night. Hang your thermometer probe over near the "cool" side.

MStacy

5 Year Member
Sulcatas are a tropical species. They need warm temps, like what you'd find in the tropics, all the time. They do need a "cooler" end, but their cooler end still needs to be warm. Never below 80ish. If your house is 80 all the time, day and night, then you won't need the CHE. If your house ever drops below 80 then the CHE placed over the middle of the tank and connected to the thermostat will keep things warm enough for your baby. During the day when your heat lamp is on making the basking area, your CHE will likely stay off since the whole tank will be warm enough.

Covering the top will help hold in heat and humidity and make much better conditions for your new baby. It will also save you money as the heat will stay where you want it instead of floating up and into the room.

Every house, every room and every enclosure is different, so we can't tell you exactly how to do it perfectly for your situation. We can only make equipment and technique suggestions for you to start with. Set up the stuff we are talking about and then run it all and keep checking your temps and humidity. Make adjustments wherever needed.
Oh my goodness, this was so helpful! Thank you! I think I'm finally getting it! I know the tank does come with a cover. Our house is 78 during the summer, but cooler in the fall and winter, so I bought the CHE.

MStacy

5 Year Member
One other question. If you are using an aquarium and have a lid on it to keep in heat, how is your CHE and MVB attached? I mean, the lid is over the whole tank, if the lid is plastic how do you install the bulbs inside the actual tank. I bought clamp fixtures from zoo med...was that wrong?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you hang yours from a stand? I bought the MVB and CHE last night. I did get clamp on light fixtures for both.... I also bought a thermostat to control the heat, and a thermometer/humidity gauge. I hope all of this was right. I bought an extra large hollow log for her to sleep under. Does this area need to be damp and dark or dry and warm? Thanks.

I need a link to the enclosures post if anyone can help me. I'm only interested in indoor and desert breeds at this time.

Don't use those clamps. They always fail and it often leads to major disasters. Like burn your whole house down major disaster. Hang the lamps from over head so you can adjust them up or down to get the temps under them correct.

Hollow logs are okay, but you still need a humid hide. I like black dish washing tubs from Walmart. Flip them over and cut out a door hole. Voila! Done.

Understand that you do not need any "desert" info for a sulcata. They are not a desert species and dry desiccating conditions are not good for them. They hatch during the African rainy season when things are hot, rainy, humid and there are puddles, marshes and green growing food everywhere. THIS is the environment we need to simulate for them in our indoor enclosures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One other question. If you are using an aquarium and have a lid on it to keep in heat, how is your CHE and MVB attached? I mean, the lid is over the whole tank, if the lid is plastic how do you install the bulbs inside the actual tank. I bought clamp fixtures from zoo med...was that wrong?

I've never found a satisfactory way to make this work, and I've tried a bunch of times, so that is why I make my own closed chambers. Like these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/2015-growth-experiment.119874/

MStacy

5 Year Member