Trying to escape, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDanger

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1375656070.930479.jpg so I recently adopted this guy.. She has always lied in an aquarium for 10 years and her beak is Huge. First thing first I made this new cage ASAP. I know it's not the biggest but I just needed to get her outta the aquarium. She won't stop trying to escape tho. When the previous owner had her all she did was sleep and now she won't stop moving. It's a literal 12 hour a day thing till it sleeps. I feed it romaine every day and a cucumber sliver 2 times a week. The cage is about 4x4 which I know is small but its the best I can do cause I'm moving to the Philly area in a week. Any way to stop the escaping attempts? You can literally hear it all over the house and if it keeps it up I will lose my mind haha..

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
I'm going thru something very similar. Now that both my new Tortoises are on a different routine, larger space, better nutrition, more UV, they are both very active and busy.

I let them both have a lot of time in the living room and the backyard which gives them exercise and makes for tires and sleep shell-buddies. Is that an option for you?

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
For one you need to give her a better diet more weeds,grasses,
And flowers. You can find good seed mixes online. Try adding some hills and rocks for it to climb . Set it up in an outdoor enclosure for a hour or two a day if you have room .
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
its a Russian thing.. but if all I got was romaine, id try to escape too!

it should settle down... give it time, but you need a much better diet.. and if you can build something outside, that's even better.

and when you can... go bigger.. 2 3 times bigger... with plants if you can.
but yes,, its better then a tank...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a huge russian. Female?

In the wild they walk a lot. Miles some days. Outside time during the day in a large enclosure with lots of plants and bushes will help.

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio
Is it the noise of trying to escape or is is succeeding escape, my russian used to keep me up trying to escape, sooo... I treated him like a baby and fed him before bed and he usually crawled in his log and went to bed, that also usually helps them get used to the new home, also like i mentioned earlier, i don't know if you have one but they usually like a hide to sleep in, good luck

MikeDanger

5 Year Member
Yea I mean I had a snapping turtle fr 15 years and when I saw this I knew it was an abused turtle cause of the beak. It is very large about 7inches plus. I know the diet is rough but its only gotten better since I got it believe it or not.. Just taking steps to improve its life.. I live in ny soon to be Philly. It's been real chilly, how cold is too cold?

Yes it's a female

I do let it roam around the house alot and out side but once I get to Philly I plan to use an entire room for it. This is mainly a set up for this week and just getting settled into the new house/job

I just went out and got those big dandelion leaves and she LOVED them. Thanks guys. Lookin forward to treating her right the rest of her life

Status
Not open for further replies.