True pardalis pardalis vs hybrids

jamie1210

5 Year Member
Hi, Everyone,
I'm aware that a true pardalis pardalis has the 2 dots on the vertebral scutes. However, if a seller designates his clutch of pardalis pardalis babies as being 100% pure, would there still be babies in said clutch with single dots/no dots on their scutes? That clutch would be considered hybrids, no? Thanks in advance!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I do not think the “ two dots” thing is true in any general sense. However, in the US, all of the South African leopards come from a very small gene pool that shows this trait (at least, the vast majority do). There are lots of people that are publicly offering mixed babies claiming them as pure, and they will sometimes show hatchlings where 50% or less show two dots. So there is very much a “caveat emptor” situation buying on any public classifieds.

If there are leopards in the US that are verifiably South African and don’t produce mostly two dot babies, I am not aware of them. @Tom will know for sure.

The best you can hope for is the seller being able to document the lineage of their breeding stock.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi, Everyone,
I'm aware that a true pardalis pardalis has the 2 dots on the vertebral scutes. However, if a seller designates his clutch of pardalis pardalis babies as being 100% pure, would there still be babies in said clutch with single dots/no dots on their scutes? That clutch would be considered hybrids, no? Thanks in advance!
Most of the people selling "pure" ones aren't. And they get mad and defensive when this is pointed out. I tried to tell the admins on a certain marketplace site, and they essentially told me: Too bad, so sad. Buyer beware.

Its not just two dots in every single vertebral. There can be one spot, no spots or multiple spots. Pure babies are easy to spot for people who have hatched or raised a bunch. It gets harder to tell as they grow, but babies are obvious.

IMG_3732.JPGIMG_0005.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg

Post a pic of the baby in question and those of us who breed them can chime in.

jamie1210

5 Year Member
Thanks for all of the great responses. Here are the pics sent to me

The one on the left looks to be pure, but not quite sure about the bigger one here? IMG_20210721_002417_380.jpg

here's a picture of the clutch. Some have double dots other's don't. Would they be hybrids then? IMG_20210721_002413_097.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thanks for all of the great responses. Here are the pics sent to me

The one on the left looks to be pure, but not quite sure about the bigger one here? View attachment 329479

here's a picture of the clutch. Some have double dots other's don't. Would they be hybrids then? View attachment 329480
Those are definitely a mix. The three on the left tell the story. An unscrupulous breeder might only show someone the three on the right and falsely claim they are pure. The bottom right one is unusual, but I could be convinced that the three on the right were pure. Especially the middle right one.