TRUE Bolivian Redfoot

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
@daniellenc - yours has a lot of Brazilian blood in him. IMHO I doubt we will see "natural - in the wild". "Hybrids" = Brazilians X Bolivians ! Although there are those that 'claim' otherwise!!!

daniellenc

Maryland
@daniellenc - yours has a lot of Brazilian blood in him. IMHO I doubt we will see "natural - in the wild". "Hybrids" = Brazilians X Bolivians ! Although there are those that 'claim' otherwise!!!
Thanks he was cb by @TylerStewart and I never asked. No breeding in his or her future so locality wasn’t on my radar. I’m just hoping by this summer I can finally sex him. I’ll feel bad if he is a she since I’ve called him a boy since he arrived.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thanks he was cb by @TylerStewart and I never asked. No breeding in his or her future so locality wasn’t on my radar. I’m just hoping by this summer I can finally sex him. I’ll feel bad if he is a she since I’ve called him a boy since he arrived.

Most likely you won't be able to sex him until 5-6 years.. we never know what or when.
Back then I had a "red" male and an "orange" female that occasionally made "black-cherry" babies.

daniellenc

Maryland
Most likely you won't be able to sex him until 5-6 years.. we never know what or when.
Back then I had a "red" male and an "orange" female that occasionally made "black-cherry" babies.

I like that guy!! A lot actually did you keep any into adulthood?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
@Redfoot NERD I'm interested in the locality of my Redfoot too. I've posted about it before and got no response. All I know about him is he was farm bred. He recently started marbling on the carapace at about 6". Also hes got blue eyes.IMG_20181208_161458447.jpg IMG_20181208_161511807.jpg IMG_20181006_151045895.jpg

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I'm thinking maybe Colombian ( yellow-head and 'diamond' on plastron ) X Brazilian.. carapace marbling. Only "farms" recognized today are in Venezuela. Commonly known as "Clown-face".

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm thinking maybe Colombian ( yellow-head and 'diamond' on plastron ) X Brazilian.. carapace marbling. Only "farms" recognized today are in Venezuela. Commonly known as "Clown-face".
Well at least "Farm bred" was what I was told when I purchased him at reptile show. Colombian was what I was thinking. Interesting though, thanks man.

DougK

Boynton Beach, FLORIDA
AE50A1DB-7D7A-483A-AC9C-3C9A0745703E.jpeg 7B4119CA-7FBF-409C-8237-14BC44639F1D.jpeg EB0E7D8D-2AD2-49AF-A4E5-60EC3F168CEC.jpeg 8413BBA0-0F87-49C6-B0B0-01384B8C3789.jpeg I’m really enjoying this thread. The variations of red foots seems to be increasing, the more I read about them. Here are some pics of my yearling, recently acquired from a local pet shop. The owner did not know much about its origination, nor did he make any false claims (I.e. cherry head or Bolivian etc...)

Any thoughts about what sub species I have here?

jbrass

Lenoir City, TN
View attachment 259054
Can someone please tell me if the cherry head on the top is a Bolivian Cherry Head
I was told this by seller
thank you
Maybe, I have a young Bolivian and noticed it is getting bumpy scoots like yours. Even though I soak and have high humidity. Been looking up images. They seem to pyramid more than other redfoots. My northern Redfoot in the same environment has no pyramiding. Also it’s shell shape is similar to mind. Seems short and wide. Also the nose is blunter. But I’m not an expert.

Redfoot Yellowfoot

Lenoir City, TN
I have a Bolivian Redfoot from Florida iguana and tortoise breeders. Waylon. About 1 year old. Just over 200 grams and almost 4 inches. Healthy tort!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
View attachment 273756 View attachment 273757 View attachment 273758 View attachment 273759 I’m really enjoying this thread. The variations of red foots seems to be increasing, the more I read about them. Here are some pics of my yearling, recently acquired from a local pet shop. The owner did not know much about its origination, nor did he make any false claims (I.e. cherry head or Bolivian etc...)

Any thoughts about what sub species I have here?
@DougK .. even tho' this reply is a year old - all I can really say is.. that guy was really "baked" at very high temps during incubation!
He may have 'some' Bolivian blood in him.. but unlikely. The multiple "split-scutes" most likely are just an indication of what happens OUTSIDE... we don't know what effect it had on the INSIDE.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Maybe, I have a young Bolivian and noticed it is getting bumpy scoots like yours. Even though I soak and have high humidity. Been looking up images. They seem to pyramid more than other redfoots. My northern Redfoot in the same environment has no pyramiding. Also it’s shell shape is similar to mind. Seems short and wide. Also the nose is blunter. But I’m not an expert.
It really is sad the amount of "WRONG" info and lies that are told about redfoot tortoises and their care @jbrass . You are only stating what you have been told.

"Bumpy" scutes is ONLY caused by NOT KEEPING CARAPACE moist [ read caresheet ] -- high humidity helps.. and [ once a redfoot is established.. second week ] THE ONLY THING "FORCED-SOAKING" DOES IS SCARES THE POOP OUT OF THEM!!!
No locale is any different than any other. When I was breeding redfoots they lived outside in the same yard separated by a 'wall' = Northern's on one side.. Brazilian's on the other. Inside .. same environment.

Short and wide most likely means different sexes.. but doubt it means anything at 4". True the 'blunt' nose is typical of Brazilian.

Attached is yearling and 2 year old .. same one "misted-til-he-dripped" at least every other day -- that's how you keep them from pyramiding. The TFO caresheet shows other examples.

Attachments

• 1HerclesYearling.jpg
    1HerclesYearling.jpg
    556 KB · Views: 19
  • 1SCOTCH27mos.jpg
    1SCOTCH27mos.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 19

o.singer1972

Stow

Attachments

• 20201004_121953.jpg
    20201004_121953.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 20201004_121937.jpg
    20201004_121937.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20201004_121930.jpg
    20201004_121930.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Redfoot Yellowfoot

Lenoir City, TN
It really is sad the amount of "WRONG" info and lies that are told about redfoot tortoises and their care @jbrass . You are only stating what you have been told.

"Bumpy" scutes is ONLY caused by NOT KEEPING CARAPACE moist [ read caresheet ] -- high humidity helps.. and [ once a redfoot is established.. second week ] THE ONLY THING "FORCED-SOAKING" DOES IS SCARES THE POOP OUT OF THEM!!!
No locale is any different than any other. When I was breeding redfoots they lived outside in the same yard separated by a 'wall' = Northern's on one side.. Brazilian's on the other. Inside .. same environment.

Short and wide most likely means different sexes.. but doubt it means anything at 4". True the 'blunt' nose is typical of Brazilian.

Attached is yearling and 2 year old .. same one "misted-til-he-dripped" at least every other day -- that's how you keep them from pyramiding. The TFO caresheet shows other examples.

Woah, relax man. I’ve also noticed the same thing as @jbrass. They don’t all pyramid at the same rates. You’re not an expert either.

o.singer1972

Stow
Woah, relax man. I’ve also noticed the same thing as @jbrass. They don’t all pyramid at the same rates. You’re not an expert either.

The bumpy one was rescued keep in mind, not mine

Check mine, smooth shell...

Attachments

• 37ce239976834521926bb6f4e13b3244.0.jpg
    37ce239976834521926bb6f4e13b3244.0.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 37ce239976834521926bb6f4e13b3244.0.jpg
    37ce239976834521926bb6f4e13b3244.0.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 17c5399856a7d3beb3bd38a8ce37831a.0.jpg
    17c5399856a7d3beb3bd38a8ce37831a.0.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 8

o.singer1972

Stow
Thanks Carl May for the heritage 'update'.. but that doesn't really explain why they are as "rare" as they seem to be - "time-to-time" has proven to be more like "FAR-and-FEW-between"!

But I'm thinking this one may have a chance of being "beautiful" - although still just 4.25" SCL - right out of the box..

And the plastron [ although quite dark all over ] doesn't have the "marbling" that is so 'common' in the Brazilian -- ( yes Carl I'm sure you've seen exceptions )

Meant to ask... what does phenotype mean?

This is a Northwestern variant.

They are similar to the northeastern variant, but their carapace base color is grey, dark brown, or coffee rather than black. Their pale plastrons have central dark areas resembling an exclamation point. Their heads and limbs are generally pale yellow to orange. These are found in southeast Panama and Colombia.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

If you could only be as relaxed @o.singer1972 - my observations / comments were/are not directed at the keeper..
but at the results of the "learned" husbandry! [ caused by or inherited ]

What 'in your opinion' makes an expert ? 22 years keeping and F2 hatchlings.. to start?

o.singer1972

Stow
If you could only be as relaxed @o.singer1972 - my observations / comments were/are not directed at the keeper..
but at the results of the "learned" husbandry! [ caused by or inherited ]

What 'in your opinion' makes an expert ? 22 years keeping and F2 hatchlings.. to start?

True to that my friend. I just encountered many called "experts" who are not to versed at zoology and the biology of these lovely animals. They restate myths and uncredited facts, loosely tied to real science of zoology that has no base in science of the species. Many of the major players in chelonian western care sites practice wrongful things and mislead tort keepers. Example: Myth No. 1 Your tort should eat Mazuri to have a good shell growth. WRONG. Find me a tort. in nature that eat Mazuri branded things LOL

Torts are opportunists. Testudo types, as an EXAMPLE, will eat what is available, SAME FOR REDS, STARS, LEOPARDS SO ON...... In the Middle East I saw Testudos, AS AN EXAMPLE, eating fruit here and there on top of weeds and plants. Example. If the season is dry and greenery is low , Testudos will munch on a cracked Watermelon or Strawberry or apple. These species are highly adaptable, as an example, Their carapaces are perfect even without MAZURI LOL

In captivity most carapace issues are due to climate / Husbandry issues if FED RIGHT. The mocked environment , no matter how good you are, will never have the same condition as their original country of origin. That's a fact. Neither the available vascular plants and Flowering plants not available in the US for example and if available might not have the same cell make up due to soil differences.

Same goes for Reds, Stars, Leopards so on....

Also a person can have 3 decades of caring for things without proper knowledge. Met people with 40 years not knowing what they talk about @Redfoot NERD , A person can learn to incubate and have hatchlings and sell like WALLMART but not having a single idea about the zoology and science of the Testudinidae family!

I trust your practice @Redfoot NERD

'

Last edited: