Trouble with Ehiem filter

promisetolove

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I have a 75 gallon tank with an Ehiem Classic 350 filter. The filters been working fine up until the last week or two the filter keeps getting worse and then hardly works at all.
For example- we cleaned the tank and filter out fully this past Thursday and the water was flowing fast out of the tube, it's now Saturday and the tube is hardly flowing at all anymore and my water is still and getting dirty.
This filter is made for 400 gallon ? There's no way in hell it wold be able to filter a 400 gallon if it doesn't work in a 75?! Am I doing something wrong?! Why does it keep doing this :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old is the filter? Are you cleaning out the hoses and where they connect to the filter? Are the sponges old, where they are clogging too fast. They should be replaced when they clog too fast or when they seem to not rinse clean.

promisetolove

5 Year Member
The filter is very new, under 30 days old still. And I purchased a warranty with it.
Yes we cleaned out the tubes as best as possible, I'm gonna have to get something that can really get in there better to scrub them.

We currently aren't using all pads, we wanted to change to those. Were using what came with the filter, which is a few pads along with the filtervlies and filtermate stuff . Are the pads a better choice? I don't wanna purchase a bunch of pads if the filter still isn't going to work properly

Honestly this has been very hard to deal with I love my turtles so much but I just can't clean the tank and filter every 2 days :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it's that new, I would call the company or just return it and try a new one. It may just be a defective one. Also, turtle tanks/ponds are hard to keep clean. However, you should not have to do it every couple days.

promisetolove

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. Yes I've had my turtles for about 6 months now and its definitely hard to keep clean, but these issues just started arising. The filter kept the tank clean for well over a week and now not even 2 days even after cleaning it. I don't know what else to do with it and I hate that I can't figure out how to fix the issue. It's a lot of work cleaning the tank, now we will have to do it again today even though we cleaned it Thursday night. That's just not right.

Should I stick with Ehiem? Or should I return it for a different brand ?
The instructions for setting this filter up were the worst I've ever seen. I had to watch YouTube videos to figure out how to set it up. This is such a hassle I just want a working filter for my tank! [TURTLE]

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
promisetolove said:
Thanks for the advice. Yes I've had my turtles for about 6 months now and its definitely hard to keep clean, but these issues just started arising. The filter kept the tank clean for well over a week and now not even 2 days even after cleaning it. I don't know what else to do with it and I hate that I can't figure out how to fix the issue. It's a lot of work cleaning the tank, now we will have to do it again today even though we cleaned it Thursday night. That's just not right.

Should I stick with Ehiem? Or should I return it for a different brand ?
The instructions for setting this filter up were the worst I've ever seen. I had to watch YouTube videos to figure out how to set it up. This is such a hassle I just want a working filter for my tank! [TURTLE]

I don't see the issue of doing water changes every couple of days but that's just me.

I've had great luck with ehiem and Rena. The newer fluvals aren't bad either. I would stay away from the marineland canisters, they're awful...

promisetolove

5 Year Member
I can't change the water in a 75 gallon tank every 2 days, not only is that ridiculously time consuming but that is a lot of water being wasted. There's no way that is normal.. The water is foggy and still and the filter water is coming out sooo slow, 2 days ago is was shooting out very fast

Up until the past week and a half, this filter has been working great. The water would stay clear food over a week, now not even 2 days? I see an issue with that..

I don't know what to do to fix this issue. I guess I will try returning it for another one? Either the same or another model.. I don't want the same issue happening again

Are the filter pads a better option for the Ehiem? Or should I stick with the filtermate stuff that I am currently using?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes the impeller that pulls the water in gets covered with gunk (scientific term for sludge, algae and moss). You may have to take it apart to get to the impeller.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Filters rated for gallons are toys, when rated for pounds of fish, at 100% stocking rate, are what should be considered for turtles. One pound of turtle is the same as about four pounds of fish.

Look at aquaculture supply vendors. One I like is "aquatic eco systems", there are others.

Will