Trouble Finding a Tortoise To Own

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I see them on craigslist all the time. I have even seen them on Petfinder. Just put in your code and you might be surprised where you find them. See if then or any local veterinarians who treat tortoises, that's how I got one once.

littlelotti24

I see them on craigslist all the time. I have even seen them on Petfinder. Just put in your code and you might be surprised where you find them. See if then or any local veterinarians who treat tortoises, that's how I got one once.

I never thought of the vet! That's a good one :) thanks

Rox20

Hello, needing so input please. I have been planning/thinking/researching about bringing a tortoise into my home and after 8+ months I think I'm ready however, the breeds I am open to is Mediterranean torts, Hermanns, Russians etc. Naturally over this time I started looking into where I would get my tortoise from and being as I rescue animals that's what I would want. To adopt and rescue one. But I'm having a really hard time, I have searched every state within 100 miles of my state and I found 1 only 1 Russian about 6 hours away(which I can't do) and the post online said it was less than a year old but this tort looked around 3-5 he was large and very aged looking so I def don't know why she's lying but that's a red flag. I don't care how old the tort is I get!!!! Older the better really haha but she's sketchy Anyway......I've been in contact with a family owned pet shop and they have of course babies for sale at a decent price but I hate to do it, but I also have waited so long and truly want a tortoise, and I've wanted one for yearsssss but it was never right time until this year. I found about 100 sliders that need homes which is awful! But I don't want turtles. It really seems that Russians and Hermanns are not given up often or something at least not near me. What should I do? What would you do?
Thanks
I have a healthy, twenty-year old Russian tortoise that I want to give away. I live near Riverhead, NY. My phone number is 631-284-9714. Steve