Triplet update---almost 7 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Its been almost seven months since the cherry-head triplets hatched here. Raising such small tortoises has been an interesting and rewarding experience for us. As they have grown the two larger siblings named Huey and Dewey have demonstrated that they are really very normal young tortoises. Both are responsive and show perfect growth.
The smallest of the three named Peanut, has also grown quite well although he started off as the runtiest of the runts.
This is a typical sight. The three of them emerging from their overnight hide after the spotlight is turned on...

DSC09525.jpg

Here are three photos of them taken this afternoon. The largest is Dewey followed by Huey and then Peanut...

DSC09616.jpg

DSC09614.jpg

DSC09612.jpg

As you can see, they do seem to be growing well. Here are their plastrons...

DSC09607.jpg

One thing is for sure, none of the three are going to win prizes for their beauty. But they are neat looking nonetheless.
Peanut's favorite food is still mushrooms and he will get them about once a week. In this first photo he has started working on one...

DSC09595.jpg

A few minutes later and you can see his progress...

DSC09599.jpg

He is a long way from being a handful...

DSC09609.jpg

But then the three of them together are...

DSC09617.jpg

Hard to believe they started off like this, a slimy little mess of legs and butts...

DSC08525.jpg

For the record here are their lengths and weights as of today, March 27.
Huey--7.3 cm 80 grams
Dewey--7.8 cm 95.5 grams
Peanut-- 5.6 cm 37 grams. Peanut is almost a full ten times his original weight.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice to see them doing so well, and remember if you ever adopt peanut out, I am your man.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I've been hoping to hear more on the triumphant trio! I cracked up at your comment about their not winning prizes for their beauty. I think their head patterns are very unique and beautiful. Pretty symmetrical and I dig the orange coloration - my next cherryhead is definitely going to have more orange if I can help it :D

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I think "Peanut" has captured all of our hearts. They look great...but then look who is taking care of them...:) Thanks again for the update..

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
love to see photo updates, peanut is so cute and small compared to the others :)
they look very good.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Fascinating, everything about them. Thank you for sharing this with us.

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
I'm so happy to hear that they're doing well! Peanut is growing nicely. :) Such sweet triplets!!
Thanks again for the update. :rolleyes:

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Thanks so much for the updates! My wife and I are so happy to read and see picture updates! They all look great to me, and I for one think Peanut is the cutest little tort!! :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Love the updates! They looked so much bigger in the pics until I saw them in your hand. They are beautiful and still very cute!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
They looked so much bigger in the pics until I saw them in your hand.

That is because Carl has bear paws for hands! They are really a good size and look fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.