Trip to the local aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
I Decided to go to the local aquarium today to kill time and i saw these nice looking turtles. I think one of them is a loggerhead musk turtle, a red eared slider, and a amazing looking albino common snapping turtle!

Attachments

• image-3579393623.png
    image-3579393623.png
    689.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image-4158758106.png
    image-4158758106.png
    831.3 KB · Views: 57
  • image-1213269893.png
    image-1213269893.png
    733.9 KB · Views: 53
  • image-2968645045.png
    image-2968645045.png
    619.1 KB · Views: 43
  • image-2623105307.png
    image-2623105307.png
    704.4 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1309819106.png
    image-1309819106.png
    750.9 KB · Views: 83

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
That snapper is either really obese, or has significant adema.
Yeah, i know, i wanted to tell the caretakers that but they werent there when we went :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
yagyujubei said:

I actually see a lot of them like that on the fauna classified. Not sure if thats how they are suppose to look, i assume so, seeing how most of them do. I think they look like sumo wrestler turtles LOL. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.:)

srod

5 Year Member
New Orleans
Was this the aquarium in new Orleans?
Man that snapper does look obese lol

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
wellington said:
yagyujubei said:

I actually see a lot of them like that on the fauna classified. Not sure if thats how they are suppose to look, i assume so, seeing how most of them do. I think they look like sumo wrestler turtles LOL. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.:)

I've checked faunaclassifeds almost every day for the last 5 years, and I have never seen a C. serpentina that was anything like that before. That turtle is extremely obese. It also does not seem to be a color morph or genetic mutation either. It my appear a bit lighter due to age, or, more likely due to it's extremely swollen extremeties.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
It is obese. It is being fed too many Calories and an excess of fatty food items. My guess is that its liver is not so hot at this point, too.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Baoh said:
It is obese. It is being fed too many Calories and an excess of fatty food items. My guess is that its liver is not so hot at this point, too.

Definately would agree. That's what's tough about running an organization like that. It can be tough to learn the best practices for caring for so many differing species under one roof. You want to feed animals, because, basic thinking is, an eating turtle is a healthy turtle. Maybe that abundance of food ends up being a low quality meat product, that is high in fat.

I've seen other rescues or aquariums fall short in other ways too. Like keeping imports with animals from other continents. It stinks because their hearts are in the right place, but all the chelonians in the world, which differ greatly from one another in many cases, need care which is often pretty specific. Just takes some research really..

It is really hard to see that turtle. Sad photos for sure.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Here's what he ought to look like:
000_0284.jpg
wellington said:
yagyujubei said:
That snapper is either really obese, or has significant edema.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Omg these turtles are all so fat! Once I saw a huge res in a 10 gallon with about 3 inches of water and another 3 in the next tank over all in 3 in of water.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
srod said:
Was this the aquarium in new Orleans?
Man that snapper does look obese lol

No, this one is in natchitoches louisiana which is about 4 1/2 hours away. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.