trimming nails ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninjacheese

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Norway
Frodos nails are starting to get too long. Tortoises are not a regular pet to have (not even legal other than for people with allergies who apply for one... im working on that. allergy tests and **** so i can get permission to own a tortoise.) in norway, so I called asked the vets and asked them if they could do it, but they didnt know anything about tortoises.
Any tips on how I can do this carefully? Im not sure about cutting, but maybe file them? putting more rocks and stuff in his enclosure?
I can see when he walks on the floor they are clearly a problem for him.

DSC08572.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you can cut them or file them. I really can't tell you how to do it except it is like cutting a dogs nails. If you aren't comfortable, I would then either take just the tips off or file the tips off. Then add some nice ruff flat rocks to help ware the down. I feed my leopard on a large flat flagstone, he is little yet, so he has to climb onto the rock to get the food. Helps keep nails and beak trimmed. You could try the rocks first and see if that will take of the nails first, before you have to intervene.

Ninjacheese

5 Year Member
Norway
wellington said:
Yes you can cut them or file them. I really can't tell you how to do it except it is like cutting a dogs nails. If you aren't comfortable, I would then either take just the tips off or file the tips off. Then add some nice ruff flat rocks to help ware the down. I feed my leopard on a large flat flagstone, he is little yet, so he has to climb onto the rock to get the food. Helps keep nails and beak trimmed. You could try the rocks first and see if that will take of the nails first, before you have to intervene.

ok, i think im gonna go with rocks and filing them a little bit. i like the "natural" and safe ways better. his beak is better than it was in that old picture though. all round and soft. it looks like he is smiling all the time. :p but the nails are longer than they were. thank you. ill find some rocks and figure this out. i just feel like it is safer to ask first :D

Status
Not open for further replies.