Trevor's Summer Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi! Long time no chat. Trevor has taken to waking early and going to bed late. He used to be awake (out of his burrow) from about 9am-4pm, and now it is more like 6am-7pm, in the matter of a week! I don't know if it is because he is older (almost 2), it's summer, or what. I sure like when he comes out to see me off to work though, and I get to see him when I come home. :) Previously, it was rare to even see him during the week. He's a happy tortoise too because I replaced his bulb. This is the second MVB bulb I've had burn out a few months before the year time frame to replace it. He has been basking like crazy with the replacement though, so its worth it. Poor buddy spent a day in the dark & cold because it likely burned out when it turned on for the day (timer). We put the new bulb in and let him stay up late and bask and eat.

Any one else's tort change their awake hours so drastically? Could it just be because he feels it is summer? Any chance something could be wrong with him? Thanks! I was quite intrigued by this.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Dale has changed up his routine and he is always sitting in his corner (opposite of his hide) in the morning now. Before he was always in his hide. I think that he got a taste of being outside and he wants to go back out. :D Glad to hear that you get to visit more with Trevor, but I have to admit that it was a little disappointing that there were no pictures of him basking under his new light. :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Pio is doing the same thing. He is out much more now...most of the day and also looking for more protein than usual...hunting for worms in his enclosure. He was outside for a week and then the weather got cold..low 60's...so now he's in again. I don't know if this has anything to do with being more active or because they know it's summer....etc. He's 7 in. now. I have to weigh him again and post pictures to see if anyone can tell me male or female. He'll be 3 July 6th. I wonder if that's old enough to tell the sex.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Nelson is the same way lately. He still wakes up late but he stays up longer now. He has been soo active that I feel like his 4x2 enclosure is too small!
Where are the pictures of Trevor?? We haven't seen him forever!!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I need to take him out and clean him up for some pictures. I really haven't taken any for months! I'm sure for his 2nd birthday in August I'll get tons. I think I went through the new mommy stage at first taking hundreds of photos a month, but now I'm getting in more of a routine of a few photo shoots a year, especially his birthday. I'll post some soon. I also have an enclose 8 sq ft. Ready for an upgrade for him soon since he has been in that since I got him. I am thinking of a stock tank that would give him 16 sq ft but I can put it on the same table (it would overhang on all sides where the tort table I have now is an exact fit). I had hoped to do a second story on this one, but I think that because of ramps going up, it would be tricky with the light in the middle because when climbing the ramp he'd get too close to the bulb. That and it doesn't add much usable space. I was finally able to move his water dish to the corner since he now realizes he is too wide to walk on the rim of it lol. I'll take enclosure photos soon too. So, with the water in the corner it adds a lot of floor space.

Glad to hear increased activity is in the air here! I can't wait for it to get warm so Trevor can go out. Sadly, he has been out on the patio maybe 10 times his whole life. :( I like it to be close to 80 and not raining for him to go out, so that is basically never in Seattle, and it is usually only weekends since he had always been asleep when we got home, but maybe now that will change! The patio is right off the living room so we can see him from inside, so we can put him out and give him a snack while we have dinner or something. :)

Terry-That might be big enough...We're about 50/50 on boy or girl for Trevor right now. He does the cutest tail wag and holds it to the side and such, but it is still really short.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I agree we need photos--I remember that adorable birthday hat photo. Could Trevor be as captivating as the mighty Nelson? As rakish as the indomitable Stagger Lee? Only photos will show for sure!

Taco's transformation this summer has been stunning and hilarious...she is wide awake, on the food tile, standing at attention and ramming the anchoring pebbles when I bring her her food in the morning, which she then proceeds to devour while she lays on it, wades in it, and gets significant portions of it stuck to her face and body. Soon after that, she is scratching the side of the pen (a sound reminiscent of fingernails on a chalkboard) to signal that it is time for her to be lifted out and set OUTSIDE! Truly, there cannot be a more endearing or entertaining tortoise on this planet. I love her so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.