Tree/Plant ID please

newCH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
So.FL
Hello,
I saw this plant in some landscaping at an outdoor eating restaurant a few days ago.
I have some landscaping to do in the future for Sheldon's enclosure & I am hoping it would be suitable.
But I don't know what it is. Can someone please ID ?
It's the plant with the red on the top. It kinda reminded me of the colorful part of a bromeliad, only much taller.
Screenshot_20210318-054349_Gallery.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
There’s quite a mix in there, BUT, the red-tipped flower looks (LOOKS) like it could be Bottlebrush.

Callistemon is a genus of shrubs in the family Myrtaceae, first described as a genus in 1814. The entire genus is endemic to Australia but widely cultivated in many other regions and naturalised in scattered locations..... Callistemon species have commonly been referred to as bottlebrushes because of their cylindrical, brush like flowers resembling a traditional bottle brush.

I know for certain they are all over Florida, from small bushes to much larger, almost tree-like.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
That thought had occurred to me, my childhood home had a bottle brush tree in the front yard.
But this plant holds the red part upward, not dangling downward like I'm used to seeing with a bottlebrush tree.
That was why some kind of bromeliad came to mind.....

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
I found it. By looking at the leaves it reminded me of variegated ginger without so much of the yellow on the leaves.
It is a Hawaiian red ginger plant. Can't find it on Tortoise table though.
Could always put it some place else in the yard.
Thanks Maro2bear for your response.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I found it. By looking at the leaves it reminded me of variegated ginger without so much of the yellow on the leaves.
So it's not edible?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

Great. Those nice flowery Southern plants aren't up here, so not as familiar. Glad you properly ID’d.