Tree ID

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This tree was already old and established when we moved on to the ranch in 1997. Can anyone tell me what it is?
IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg

It makes these little seed pods in fall, but now they are old and decomposing:
IMG_0171.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
See if it looks like an Ash tree.

This info shows the seed pods

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like it might be the one Mark. Thanks.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
That's not ash. It's something in the legume family. Figuring out which species is a bit tricky though, because there are many candidates with similar leaves.

I'm leaning towards japanese pagoda tree (Styphnolobium japonicum), which would have pale yellow or white flowers earlier in the season. Look up some photos of the flowers and seed pods and see if it looks like a match, as it's hard to see the exact structure of the seed pods in your photos.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's not ash. It's something in the legume family. Figuring out which species is a bit tricky though, because there are many candidates with similar leaves.

I'm leaning towards japanese pagoda tree (Styphnolobium japonicum), which would have pale yellow or white flowers earlier in the season. Look up some photos of the flowers and seed pods and see if it looks like a match, as it's hard to see the exact structure of the seed pods in your photos.
Those are last years seed pods. They are all dried up and disintegrating now.

I'll get some close ups of the flowers.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Geez Tom, just how big is this ranch? You’ve had a jillion random plants show up this spring and now you’ve got trees as well! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Took a branch to the nursery and got a positive ID. He even walked me over and showed me one at their facility. Its called Tipuana. Or Tipu.

Its a great shade tree and non-toxic, so I'm going to try to grow some more from seed. The man at the nursery said it won't grow from branch cuttings.

I also got my other big mystery trees identified. They are called Raywood Ash, and they do very well here in this climate.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Took a branch to the nursery and got a positive ID. He even walked me over and showed me one at their facility. Its called Tipuana. Or Tipu.

Its a great shade tree and non-toxic, so I'm going to try to grow some more from seed. The man at the nursery said it won't grow from branch cuttings.

I also got my other big mystery trees identified. They are called Raywood Ash, and they do very well here in this climate.

I knew you had an Ash tree somewhere! Tipuana...new one on me for sure. Tks for “The Rest of the Story”.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!

Even with the nursery ID’ing it I am still not 100% convinced. Too many options that have singly pinnate leaves like that.