Treating Pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerbsMommy

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, so my 6 month old Leo has pneumonia and I thought it could be helpful to share what I have been doing to help him. I have read that this is a very common illness in baby torts. First of all, his initial symptoms were bubble nose, struggling to breathe (craning his neck and gaping mouth) and a very suppressed appetite. I rushed him to the vet where they told me he has pneumonia but we caught it early, which is good. Our vet put Herb on Baytril injections for 7 days (I can't inject him myself.. too scared!... So we take him in daily.

I also bought him a whole new enclosure with new bedding (cypress mulch) and some New Zealand sphagnum moss for humidity. I also bought him a long UVB lamp in addition to his red heating lamp and a thermometer/humidity gauge. His temps have been increased and stays at about 95 degrees with 50-60% humidity.

I am soaking him extra long and twice a day instead of his usual 20-30 minutes once daily. I am putting half water, half **Clear non-flavored** Pedialyte in his "bathtub" for his second soak. His first soak I do in the morning, just regular warm water. In the evening, directly after his pedialyte soak, I'll put him in just warm water to rinse any excess pedialyte (you can never be too cautious!) And I do about 20 minutes pedialyte and 20 minutes plain water.

Because his appetite is low, I'm trying Gerber baby food; Carrots and mixed veggies. The softness of these will be much easier for him to get down.

I live in Southern California, so its pretty hot year round, its been high 80s and 90s lately so Herb usually gets his UVB from direct sunlight (hence I just bought him a UVB light) but now I'm not letting him outside for at least a week and a half until he's done with the antibiotics and fully recovered. And even then, I'm only going to take him outside for exercise purposes since I have the UVB light. He loves to snuggle up in the shade under a palm tree in moist dirt. I'm almost positive these little habits are what got him sick.

I know this is long, but I'm writing in hopes to help anyone who (God forbid) comes across this issue. It will help cure any RI, but I strongly recommend taking a trip to the vet in case your baby needs antibiotics like mine did

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Thank you for your experience. Many members could benefit from what you did.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Thank you for taking the time to share!!
Great info!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.