Traveling with my Sulcata for the first time

Tylerwil64

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta GA
I need advice traveling with my 1-year-old Sulcata, Flash, for the first time. We will be traveling by car for 5 hours to our family in Tennessee and be staying for 3 days. I need advice on handling the tort on our drive as well as its enclosure when we get there. I am a new member to this site and will greatly appreciate the feedback on how I should handle and care for Flash on our trip.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and welcome to the Forum.

If you do some searches, lets say on vacation or holiday, you will find MANY questions and answers on this very issue. The bottom line, usually it’s recommended to NOT do this. It’s much easier to set everything up on timers, do a good soak before you leave and when you get back. Make sure there are no obstacles to cause flipping on back, etc. and if possible just have a friend check in daily.

Some pix of your enclosure and set up will help with responses.

Good luck.

Check this recent thread, and read @Tom ’s response..

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/taking-sulcata-on-vacation.164345/#post-1581798

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I need advice traveling with my 1-year-old Sulcata, Flash, for the first time. We will be traveling by car for 5 hours to our family in Tennessee and be staying for 3 days. I need advice on handling the tort on our drive as well as its enclosure when we get there. I am a new member to this site and will greatly appreciate the feedback on how I should handle and care for Flash on our trip.
Could you have a friend care for him at home while you are gone? The car ride won’t be difficult. You can use a box with a lid. I read someone say that it will feel more secure in a dark box. The three days without an enclosure is the difficult part. This is why I recommend him staying home with a caregiver.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Just thinking, what about an extra large folding dog kennel with a dark thick shower curtain on bottom and half way up sides, bring a bag of cypress mulch and all the lights, etc.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Having taken a few Holidays when our Sully was a kid, i do believe it is SO much easier and less stress on keeper and tort to set everything up on timers and some extra food. Three days away is just a LONG weekend.....

When we returned from one of our holidays....we quickly checked on our Sully...who was just sitting in his enclosure, happy as a clam.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
We usually have either my college daughter care for Daisy or her friend that doesn’t work due to back problems and anxiety she does odd jobs and teaches yoga, Brooke has several animals and a Russian so she will house sit for us. She takes great care of Daisy, our little dog and cat, plus ends up cleaning my house and then she gets the pool to herself lol. She doesn’t drive due to her anxiety and is 21 [emoji20]. She said our home is like vacation for her. We are lucky to have her in our lives. Try to find a responsible kid nearby and teach them how to care for your tort. Kids are always looking for spending money, 30 minutes a day, soak, fresh food and water

Tylerwil64

Atlanta GA
Thanks for all the feedback. We went out and bought a small vivarium today, we also decided to get a smaller lamp for Flash to use since the vivarium's top is plastic. We would also like to know how we should handle the heating pad situation, is only a basking light enough for 3 days?
Pics of our traveling vivarium.
IMG_1664.JPG IMG_1662.JPG IMG_1660.JPG

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the feedback. We went out and bought a small vivarium today, we also decided to get a smaller lamp for Flash to use since the vivarium's top is plastic. We would also like to know how we should handle the heating pad situation, is only a basking light enough for 3 days?
Pics of our traveling vivarium.
View attachment 244145 View attachment 244146 View attachment 244147

So you decided to take your tort along with you for such a short time away?

Melis

Maryland
Hello!

That is wayyy too small to keep him in for 3 days. I’m guessing there’s no way to just keep him home?
A plastic storage tote would be better if you choose to not keep him home.
Be wary that torts dont like change. He may be inactive or go on a food strike until things get back to normal.