Traveling to California from Arizona

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Can I take my 2 babies with me? They are 6 months old

Two baby........tortoises, turtles, ?. It would probably help to provide a lot more information regarding thesoecies and how you acquired them. Feel free to upload some pix too. It’s all free.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Not if they're desert tortoises (Gopherus species). Desert tortoises belong to the state they come from, not to their care taker. It's a mighty hefty fine if they catch you.

FastTab

Phoenix
They are sulcata tortoises my neighbor has the parents that is how I ended up with them. I am just visiting California for 2 weeks in orange county

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are sulcata tortoises my neighbor has the parents that is how I ended up with them. I am just visiting California for 2 weeks in orange county
Best to leave them home in their usually enclosure and have someone soak, feed and look after them for you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Need to show my grandkids they want to see them
Traveling in general is stressful for tortoises. The fact that there are two of them is also very stressful (that's another topic)
They will poop and pee all over whatever they're kept in. Get dehydrated and likely stop eating.
It can be done. But it should be discouraged because it's just a bad situation for the animals.
The bumpy trip, the change in environment, even the grandkids will scare the Hell out of them.
These suggestions are all from experience.
If you chose to bring them anyway. Do what you can do to keep the whole event as calm as you can.
They stress out more than most people think.
That stress can cause real health issues.

FastTab

Phoenix
Traveling in general is stressful for tortoises. The fact that there are two of them is also very stressful (that's another topic)
They will poop and pee all over whatever they're kept in. Get dehydrated and likely stop eating.
It can be done. But it should be discouraged because it's just a bad situation for the animals.
The bumpy trip, the change in environment, even the grandkids will scare the Hell out of them.
These suggestions are all from experience.
If you chose to bring them anyway. Do what you can do to keep the whole event as calm as you can.
They stress out more than most people think.
That stress can cause real health issues.
Will leave them home thank you for the information