Traveling every weekend

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Sorry to keep asking questions about this tortoise! I foster a sully on the weekends because his owner does not feed him and heʻs left alone in a 3X5 open-top enclosure outside, among other things. We donʻt have the types of predators you do, but we do have mongoose and feral cats. He is almost 3 years old, and while I understand that they have wildly different growth rates, Iʻm afraid that this guy - who isnʻt even the size of a football will get eaten or attacked. On the weekends when I have him, he is able to graze in my yard for about 6 hours a day, and we also take a 45-minute walk down the street (on the grassy dirt median ) every day that I have him. Would it be too stressful to keep moving him on the weekends? I put him in a small animal carrier with towels and on colder days, a sock of warm rice and a dryer heated towel to cover the crate. Itʻs about a 25-minute drive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He should have a permanent large enclosure on the ground with a heated shelter. A foot ball sized three year old sulcata should have something around 30x30 feet or larger.

If those people can't or won't do better, they should give the tortoise to someone who will.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Yes Tom, in my other thread Sully Sitting, has turned into Sully Stealing. I will gain "custody" of him on the 1st of June as soon as school is out, and am currently checking on this forum to build a heated house and a hide for him when we move, and see a lot of great ideas. Unfortunately, my yard is only about 20 X 20 but I am hoping that would suffice until we move, which is in about 9 months. In the meantime is it okay to keep moving him back and forth every weekend, or is it too stressful?