Traveling by car

MadeyK

Location (City and/or State)
Cooperstown Wisconsin
I have a Hermans hatchling, in 6 months we are going down to Florida for a week from Wisconsin, its about an 18 hour drive. I dont really trust anyone here to take care of him while im gone, do you think its possible I can travel with him? We will be driving through the night and only stop for gas. I was thinking of bringing a Tote for him to stay in while down there ( he’s normally in a tortoise table) I can pack all of his lights and necessities in there for easy packing and then just put it in the trunk. How big of a container would he actually travel in? Should it only be big enough for him to turn around in or can I go a bit bigger? What have you guys done when needing to take your Tortoises somewhere?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I have a Hermans hatchling, in 6 months we are going down to Florida for a week from Wisconsin, its about an 18 hour drive. I dont really trust anyone here to take care of him while im gone, do you think its possible I can travel with him? We will be driving through the night and only stop for gas. I was thinking of bringing a Tote for him to stay in while down there ( he’s normally in a tortoise table) I can pack all of his lights and necessities in there for easy packing and then just put it in the trunk. How big of a container would he actually travel in? Should it only be big enough for him to turn around in or can I go a bit bigger? What have you guys done when needing to take your Tortoises somewhere?
Plastic shoe box is what I use filled with some substrate. You are going in 6 months? Or he is 6 months?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
It is not a good idea Im sorry, if there is no other option then I suppose it is doable, but it will cause some stress on the animal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Best to leave the tortoise at home with lights on timers and heat on a thermostat. Have someone check on him daily and drop in some food. If you don't know anyone you trust, you can hire someone.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Since this travel is 6 months in the future, you have time to identify a neighbor, friend or pet sitting service to pop in once / day. Too many issues traveling & setting up new enclosure for a week in Florida, then traveling back.
Has to be a pet sitter service available? Timers & thermostats work wonders. A good soak before you depart, a pile of food, and then a good soak when you get back. Much easier.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
It probably is better to leave at home, but I also worry about them flipping over. I leave my yearling at home, but the hatchling always comes with... my wife just shakes her head as I'm packing him up