Travel

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Does anyone know how daily travel will affect a Russian Tortoise? I have the opportunity to create an 8 X 12 outdoor enclosure which is close to my office, but about half an hour away from my home. The plan is to drive Snoopy to the outdoor enclosure in the morning about 7:00 am, and bring him home at about 6:00 pm. It would be a better environment for him since he is still stuck in a 40 gallon aquarium at my house, (which is heart breaking) with only a 3X4 outdoor enclosure. I take him out daily for at least an hour, but would like to keep him outside as much as possible. I am, like some, a product of no research on raising a tortoise. Thankfully I found this forum. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I would hate to have to rehome Snoopy, but will do whatever is best for him

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I don't think it will bother him at all. I've driven for considerably longer than half an hour with torts, and usually they don't even poop on the ride. Take him on a ride around town. Unless he freaks out, you should be good to go.

I always put mine in a milk crate and drape a towel over it. Makes it feel more secure and helps keep drafts off.

I'm assuming he's an adult? If he's still little, he shouldn't be outside all day yet. It slows growth and they just don't do as well overall.

In case you haven't read it, here's a care sheet with updated info.