Travel and tortoise

jags8307

Location (City and/or State)
League City, Texas
We are thinking about finding a home for our Sulcata because my son is leaving after graduation (who was mainly the caretaker) and my husband and I travel a lot. I have a hard time finding ppl to care while we are gone. Before we make a final decision, can I ask what some of you do when you travel? What do you do with your tortoise. Ours is only about a year so he doesn't roam freely in the yard yet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When Bob was younger/smaller, my sister used to bring him with her on road trips. She has a box just a little bigger than he was at the time, and she'd pack him in there with shredded paper and put the lid on and sit it on the passenger seat next to her. When she stopped at the motel, she'd plug in his lights, etc. When on the road in the dark box, he'd just sleep.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are thinking about finding a home for our Sulcata because my son is leaving after graduation (who was mainly the caretaker) and my husband and I travel a lot. I have a hard time finding ppl to care while we are gone. Before we make a final decision, can I ask what some of you do when you travel? What do you do with your tortoise. Ours is only about a year so he doesn't roam freely in the yard yet.

With a proper set up, they are really easy to care for. A friend or neighbor could stop by for 5 minutes and have everything done easily. With lights on digital timers, a spineless opuntia pad or two and no water bowl, your tortoise would be fine for a week or more as long as nothing goes wrong. That's why its a good idea to have someone stop by and check on them daily. Bulbs can burn out, and power outages can happen.

When they get older and have their own heated outdoor box in a large outdoor enclosure, its even easier. A flake of orchard grass hay and some opuntia pads and you are good to go for weeks. Best if someone can shut the night box door every evening (after making sure the tortoise is inside) and open it in the morning.

Still, if this is a hassle you just don't want to think about and you have no attachment to the beast, then it will be better off with someone who wants it.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sounds like you don't really want it and your son can't take it so just put it up for adoption and enjoy your travels, there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't go giving it to the first person who pops up saying they want one, make sure it goes to a good home.

jags8307

League City, Texas
We are getting attached to him. We travel for work so it's not because we want to for the pleasure of it (although sometimes it would be nice). I would just give him to anyone that's for sure. Tom-I will look into your suggestions. We are usually not gone more than a week. The pet shop my son got him from fed it nothing but spring mix. I can't get it to eat anything but. Any suggestions on that??

Prairie Mom

There are times when my family must travel regardless of whether or not a dependable pet sitter is available. So, we teach our animals to become accustomed to it. Our Sulcata has already been on long out of state roadtrips with us in horrible weather.

Our set up is a very large storage Tupperware tote that takes up the entire trunk of our van. -It's a big enough setup that it is also her temporary home when we are out of town. We put in lots of her regular cypress substrate, rolled blankets around the inside of the container just in case the turns are too bumpy, she has 2 HUMID HIDES of her choice, AND A Ceramic Heat Emitter lamp SET ON A THERMOSTAT to keep her at her perfect desired temperature for the entire day-long car trip. We use an auto power inverter similar to this...
http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-View-IN...8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1424498264&sr=1-48 . We also keep a big enough stash of 10 hr handwarmers (from the sports dept at Walmart) in our glove box in case of an emergency for tortoise or people. Our sulcata has become quite comfortable with our travel setup and even ate in the car on our last long drive :)

Good luck to you!!! If you are attached to your pet, you'll find a way!!:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pet shop my son got him from fed it nothing but spring mix. I can't get it to eat anything but. Any suggestions on that??

Tortoises don't like change. They want to eat what they are used to eating. Finely chop up a small amount of new stuff and then throughly mix it in with a much larger amount of finely chopped spring mix. Start with less than 5% of the new stuff and gradually add more over many days and weeks. Eventually the tortoise will get used to the new stuff and the new stuff won't be "new" anymore.

Here is a diet sheet to give you some ideas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

jags8307

League City, Texas
Prairie Mom-that's an awesome setup you have for traveling. Unfortunately when I travel it's usually for work and I may not always drive. We are going to try and work things out. Hopefully we can come up with a good solution.

Prairie Mom

Prairie Mom-that's an awesome setup you have for traveling. Unfortunately when I travel it's usually for work and I may not always drive. We are going to try and work things out. Hopefully we can come up with a good solution.
Well-Darn... Airplane rides certainly complicate things. Good luck! I hope things work out for you:)

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
If you by chance are traveling nurses, let me assure you it can be taken along with ease. Hang the bas ing light in the motel closet with a lounging pad underneath. Choose to. Add some some high water content foods and leave the bathroom door open and heater on. Your little friend will not find things to hide u see but will have plenty of warm spots and room to roam.

Tgordon600

Hello, I am looking for a sulacta tortoise that is already partly out of adolescence. I have had experience with sulactas and I have a strong love for them. I would like one that spans from 8-10 inches in diameter. I live in Louisiana. If you are still interested in selling yours, please contact me @ 318-469-7799