Trash Can Hides?

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
Hey all, this might be an odd question but does anyone use a trash can for their tortoise hides?

I had two that I was using for leaf cleanup and found that my boys had knocked them over and taken up residence. In thinking about it I could easily get the large ones with wheels and the lid flap and set them up on their side using the lid as a sun shade (maybe propped with a buried 2x4).

I was thinking they could be fairly easy to heat/insulate and would be relatively inexpensive. Any thoughts/experiences to share?

thanks,
Rick

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For adult size sulcatas? I don't know of any that would be big enough. Tortoises typically don't like to go backwards so, how would they be able to turn around?
They aren't large enough to heat and have enough room to move around.
For smaller torts they would work for temp hides for during the day. I wouldn't use one if you're trying to heat it.

DarkerGraphic

10 Year Member!
Tom,

Mine are of various sizes with the smallest around 80lbs and largest around 140lbs or so. My largest two were the ones in the cans, they’ve been using them pretty reliably for about a week. I know it’s not a forever solution, but was interesting to see. I can’t imagine a burrow would be much different in size given the scrapes my guys make.

-Rick

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
For a shade hide yeah, but there are way cheaper alternatives UNLESS you are the one stealing the alley cans in my neighborhood! ? Now i have another reason to worry why the leave!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This is a rain barrel that I made into heated hide for a young sulcata.Picture 001.jpg It works fine. But size does matter. If you decide to insulate the cans use an insulation that won't be affected when it gets wet.