Transitioning Sulcata and water

Maddy D

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
For starters helo everyone! I am new to this forum and look forward to getting more familiar! So, here's the deal - I have a six year old sulcata tortoise, she is relatively small and we live in Indiana! From the time she was 2 until she was 5 1/2 she lived with my older sister who is a wildlife biologist. My family has had a sulcata before, so when I took her from my sister, I did not forsee any problems, but alas, I think there are. I will list some concerns with her diet ;
1) she never drinks water, and today was the first time I was able to properly soak her without her trying to climb out. Ive gotten worried and have started misting her food/adding thin cucumber slices. Any ideas?
2) for a short period she lived with my sister in a remote area of Estonia, and she had to feed her a more vegetable heavy diet. I've been trying to wane her off of it, to the point her current diet is now 1/3 vegetable and two parts grass. I'm worried about quiting it cold turkey because of water issue.
3) on warm days I let her graze freely in my backyard, which is filled with cover and a patch of weeds my father allows to grow just for her. How much can grazing substitute meals?

Thank you very much for your patience! I would prefer to contact my sister, but she is out of range doing wildlife stuff. Any replies would be helpful, and Gogo (tort) and I both thank you! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, I would think rather that the food you are offering should be seen as a supplement to the free grazing, you see--free grazing should not be an issue and no limit should be put on that----however, there should be a balance between what you are offering the tort so you are not filling up valuable space in the stomach on food that does little in the way of nutrition in comparison to the items she can naturally graze on...

Soaking, a tortoise will try to get out of a soaking container if they are not use to the soaking in that way.....so, don't be discouraged by the tort trying to climb out (this is actually an alright thing because the motion is great in getting the tort to clear it system by pooing and such)...I also would suggest that you offer the tort easy access to a dish that is plenty large enough for the tort to readily walk right into and out of.....this will allow the tort the ability to self soak...

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Estonia/Geography

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/EE/Tallinn.html
versus
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/IN/Carmel.html

So there are some differences--this you can figure into your daily routine.....

Was the tortoise housed indoors or outdoors with your sister? Where did she originally acquire the tortoise from---captive or wild caught?
May we see a pic...we LOVE pics :D

Maddy D

Indiana
She was housed indoors, and spent a few years roaming freely in my sis's apartment at Purdue :) here's the little sucker

Attachments

• 1403298353578.jpg
    1403298353578.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 31

Maddy D

Indiana
Well, I would think rather that the food you are offering should be seen as a supplement to the free grazing, you see--free grazing should not be an issue and no limit should be put on that----however, there should be a balance between what you are offering the tort so you are not filling up valuable space in the stomach on food that does little in the way of nutrition in comparison to the items she can naturally graze on...

Soaking, a tortoise will try to get out of a soaking container if they are not use to the soaking in that way.....so, don't be discouraged by the tort trying to climb out (this is actually an alright thing because the motion is great in getting the tort to clear it system by pooing and such)...I also would suggest that you offer the tort easy access to a dish that is plenty large enough for the tort to readily walk right into and out of.....this will allow the tort the ability to self soak...

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/profiles/Estonia/Geography

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/EE/Tallinn.html
versus
http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/US/IN/Carmel.html

So there are some differences--this you can figure into your daily routine.....

Was the tortoise housed indoors or outdoors with your sister? Where did she originally acquire the tortoise from---captive or wild caught?
May we see a pic...we LOVE pics :D
Oh, and she was purchased from captivity!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Cute mug for sure :D How will you house the tortoise? Will you allow and set up outdoor space to let the tort take advantage of the WAY humid and warm summer months there? Did I say WAAAAYYYY humid? :p

Maddy D

Indiana
Cute mug for sure :D How will you house the tortoise? Will you allow and set up outdoor space to let the tort take advantage of the WAY humid and warm summer months there? Did I say WAAAAYYYY humid? :p
Our house is very large, and she roams freely either on the third floor where we can watch her, our basement which is large and spacious, with a heating pad area and cooler area. Admittedly she spends most of her recent time s unning on our deck, and once a day for about an hour or more grazing outside! She's small enough to not be able to push stuff around inside, and we S omeTimes tie a heroin balloon to her inside so we can watch her

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Cool.... remember, indoors on the floor is not the best place to have the tort...but certainly do until you set the tort up with an outdoor space....um, you know that this tort gets a little large right...:rolleyes:....

This is a species (well, each species likes it in different levels) enjoys really warm and humid spaces to have access to.....so do keep in mind that an outdoor space for the nice seasons in your state would offer this tort a wonderful life.....just make sure the outside space is done in mind with what ever your predator situation may be in the space for the tort...

Maddy D

Indiana
Cool.... remember, indoors on the floor is not the best place to have the tort...but certainly do until you set the tort up with an outdoor space....um, you know that this tort gets a little large right...:rolleyes:....

This is a species (well, each species likes it in different levels) enjoys really warm and humid spaces to have access to.....so do keep in mind that an outdoor space for the nice seasons in your state would offer this tort a wonderful life.....just make sure the outside space is done in mind with what ever your predator situation may be in the space for the tort...
Yes! My dad is building one outside, and since we are moving, the new house is being built with an indoor area for the tortoise in mind. :) And our previous sulcata was 20 years old and approximately 25 or 30 pounds, but was stolen when our house was broken into v.v. we live in a suburb by the way so there aren't many natural predators :rolleyes:

Maddy D

Indiana

Oh my gosh, I'm typing this on mobile SO auto correct...I meant helium balloon, not heroine balloon....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LMAO.....I kinda figured you meant helium and not dope....lol.....I have always wished I was hand at making things....it would be cool if you could make a 4wd vehicle style orange flag holder able to be attached to a tort by like a harness or the like and this way you could keep an eye on the tort while out and about....lol....anyways, stay clear of the heroine and have fun with the tort....:p:p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Use a tall sided opaque tub, or a clean rinsed bathtub, and don't worry about here trying to climb out.
2. 2/3 grass is fine. I would use other things than vegetables though. Here is a list:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
3. Grazing IS a meal, not a substitute for one. Grazing all day in a safe enclosure is ideal. Grazing out loose in a yard, or running around on the third floor is a disaster waiting to happen.

Sulcatas do not need a "cool" area. Where they come from there are two seasons: Hot and hotter. "Cool", as in room temp on the floor, is not a good thing for them.

Please read these threads:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I hope we can help you and your tortoise.

Maddy D

Indiana
Thank you @Tom for your help! I've started the preparations for a large outdoor/indoor enclosure for Gogo at our new house, and in the meantime, have been watching her diet more carefully, and soaking her regularly! she loves it now, and she has grown quite a bit, and has a healthier look to her skin and eyes. here are some pictures!
Bwo6QowIYAAGkOi.jpg:large
Bwo6SW2IEAAUWu1.jpg:large