Transferring turts during the power outage

promisetolove

5 Year Member
I didn't get very many responses to my last thread.

The power is supposed to be out for the next 72 hours and it's already been out for over 24. My turtles have been without light for a day now. I've been adding hot water and watching the temps so at least they stay in warm water.

Should I transfer them to my parents house tonight? Who have power?
I don't think buying a generator is a possibility - all the half decent prices ones are completely sold out everywhere with this ice storm. And I can't afford a $1000 generator.

Any advice would help greatly, remember these are water turtles not tortoises

I'm in ontario Canada, during an ice storm.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola, FL
Whats the inside temps and water temps reading, both species are pretty cold tolerant.

promisetolove

5 Year Member
I haven't let the tank go under 74 degrees yet today as I'm a worry wart I've been worrying all day about them and checking on them constantly.

The house is getting cold though without power or heat and the ice storm outside were below freezing. I figured the turtles would be okay for a day but I'm not sure for another 72 hours without light? Is that ok? Or should I transfer them?

I've been making sure the water stays in the 80s

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The two Res just let them go to sleep
Because once the water temp is at 55
Degrees the turtles stop eating cause
They can't digest the food but keep a hole in the ice for breathing . But I have no info. For the Map turtle
Good luck and sorry for the power outage

promisetolove

5 Year Member
Thank u but I won't be letting the water get down to 55 or get to ice. I will transfer them before that happens.
Like I said, I have been adding hot water and keeping the temp around 75-80ish as often as I can I have been checking on them. But I needed to know if they would be okay without light for another 2 days

Val_d

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Blackfalds, AB, CAN
I'm sure this is much too late but if it happens again, your RES will be just fine for a few days without light, high heat, etc. I would have just taken them out of the water and kennelled them in a dog kennel. Then every day just put them in warmish water to rehydrate. Just don't feed til you got your power back. They won't starve in a few days without food. They will sleep when cool.