Trading Goodies?

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
pfara said:
Yvonne G said:
Jlant85 said:
LOL LOL LOL!!! you said Frisco and no one else say frisco unless you live in SAN FRANCISCO!!! I TOO LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO! I GOT PLANTAINS IF YOUR UP FOR TRADES!

NO NEED TO SHIP! Meet at a starbucks! LOL LOL LOL! warning tho... i dont plant my plantains on my enclosure... they will destroy (EAT) them all!

I beg to differ...I was raised in S.F. and lived there for about 20 years. If you said "Frisco" you were frowned upon by the locals. We are very protective of our city, and it is never Frisco to the natives! :p

I was born and raised there, too (says so on my birth certificate). A popular slogan on 106 KMEL (radio station) comes to mind: "Frisco! You know!" I suppose your locals weren't into rap :p

AHHHHHHHHHHH! YOU KNOW! rofl.... ^_^v

redterra

some varieties of prickly pear aren't as hardy as others, I live in zone 5 and some types can't survive our cold winters. I found some hardy variety growing wild here and replanted it. Seemed to like sandy, low-nutrient soil.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Trading Goodies?

I buy my mazuri from mazuri .com . I buy 25 lbs bags for 39.99 $ shipped. Check it out see if they ship smaller quantities. This sounds perfect because this time of year cactus is hard to find .
That's good to know, thanks!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
My spider plants all had babies. If I knew how to safely ship live plants, I'd love to participate. I have plenty of seeds to share, though.
With the baby's off the spider plant, wrap the baby in lightly moisten paper towel, put in sandwich bag, close and mail, that's how my ain't sent me a couple.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
With the baby's off the spider plant, wrap the baby in lightly moisten paper towel, put in sandwich bag, close and mail, that's how my ain't sent me a couple.

Thanks, Amanda. I figured that stuff out a little bit ago. But now there's the problem of me not having a car.. :p

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Thanks, Amanda. I figured that stuff out a little bit ago. But now there's the problem of me not having a car.. :p
Haha, I didn't think to look at time of post. I do that a lot. I'm always behind. Lol. As for the car issue, I have no suggestions.

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
And this is probably well solved to but I will say it anyhow.
With the prickly pear, I literally cut a good size piece off the mother plant, left it sitting (actually forgot about it) for 2 weeks on patio table. When I did remember it I planted it, poured half a gallon of water on it just to pack dirt good and walked away. That stuff went crazy. It got out of hand, I attempted to get rid of it, dug it all up or so I thought, it grew back, mowed it over again and again, that just spread it. I finally went got gasoline and set the stuff on fire. Nope, still have it. Course I'm glad now cause I have a purpose for it now but from my experience, neglect and abuse it, it will thrive. I actually started some other type this spring, they call it bunny ears or something around that? It doesn't have the big needles, it has like a fur all over it. All those lite fur things stick all over in you and you can't see to get them out your skin, their kinda a hassle to handle. Did same thing to it, it took off just like the other.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
In the spring I will have a ton of mullberry saplings to trade for cactus ;) or if any one lives in northern you can ohio come dig some nice sized starts up now :)

Prairie Mom

Hey @littleginsu :) I love your idea and was just talking about it in the off topic chit chat (I tagged you to let you know). I'm hoping to set up my winter gardening grow lights in a week or so. I'm hoping to grow some young pumpkin and squash plants and some of Mavis's favorite flowers in my house. When I have big enough seedlings, do you want to be my guinea pig and let me try shipping them to you to see if they survive the packaging and shipping?

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
In the spring I will have a ton of mullberry saplings to trade for cactus ;) or if any one lives in northern you can ohio come dig some nice sized starts up now :)
Is anyway you can ship it? I have cactus that I can send to you as well. I'm in SD, California

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Is anyway you can ship it? I have cactus that I can send to you as well. I'm in SD, California

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))
Yep, I can ship. I just found a whole other area in my yard that I did not even know about! Come spring, get a hold of me :)

Prairie Mom

Well, I've been feeling pretty spoiled by several kind people that I've met on this forum. A while ago we were talking about grape and mulberry leaves.http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/nutritional-value-for-grape-and-mulberry-leaves.103122/ My little sulcata arrived with soft spots in her shell that have firmed up nicely, but I am always on the look out for calcium power foods. @Jacqui shipped us a nice bag of fresh Mulberry leaves. Mavis LOVES them. She's never had them before and went to town on them! The bag will be used up quickly and this tortoise Mom couldn't be happier or more grateful! Thanks @Jacqui !!!
mavis eating mulberry.jpg

Prairie Mom

We also recently received the cutest package from @lismar79 . She was kind enough to send us some Mulberry seedlings from her trees. The seedlings survived the shipping process perfectly. She also included some dried Mulberry leaves which I plan to save and will happily sprinkle over Mavis's food this winter :) Lisa also included a letter and photos from her tortoises to our Mavis. -My kids went absolutely bonkers over the short tortoise letter and photos!!! Who knew the mail could be so cool!?!?! Thanks so much, @lismar79 !!! lismar package.jpg

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I wish I had something I could trade, I live in WI around the city so I don't have much to give until Summer comes around and I grow veggies, etc! :)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
We also recently received the cutest package from @lismar79 . She was kind enough to send us some Mulberry seedlings from her trees. The seedlings survived the shipping process perfectly. She also included some dried Mulberry leaves which I plan to save and will happily sprinkle over Mavis's food this winter :) Lisa also included a letter and photos from her tortoises to our Mavis. -My kids went absolutely bonkers over the short tortoise letter and photos!!! Who knew the mail could be so cool!?!?! Thanks so much, @lismar79 !!! View attachment 101158

How darn cute! I want one! ;)

Love this trading idea.

Prairie Mom

I wish I had something I could trade, I live in WI around the city so I don't have much to give until Summer comes around and I grow veggies, etc! :)
I understand, Tyanna. I've already had several snow storms this year. I like to grow a lot of vegetables too. My tortoise loves pumpkin and squash leaves. I bet you could easily trade those with people when the summer rolls around:) I've been experimenting more and more with indoor gardening, because I grow a lot of veg from seed. I'm about to start growing variety of grasses and edible flowers under my grow lights. I've also dug up dandelions and have them growing in pots:) We saved the pumpkin seeds from our Jack o lantern and will be growing mini free pumpkin seedlings to feed to my tort, because she likes the leaves so much. If I get a sizeable crop going, and plants are big enough at around the same time, I will totally hook you up Tyanna :D

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA