Trading Goodies?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Evy said:
Jacqui, that would be cool, I would pay for it no problem. Penny my sully is only 1 1/2 pounds about 5-6inxhes long she doesn't eat much.

Send me your mailing address by PM please.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I have prickly pears, but they are not of the de-needled kind. But I can easy get some and throw them in the ground to grow.

I am not sure about the legality of sending plants across state lines?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Shipping plants like cactus should be fine... I had cactus pads shipped to me from out-of-state.
Like I said, I have a ton of spider plantlings. And maybe some geranium (pelargonium) cuttings/seeds later on. I can root some christmas cactus cuttings if anyone would be interested in trading those.
This is a great idea.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I would love some spider plants and anything else green you got, hunterk997!

I tried to get some spider plants from Home Depot yesterday and they were all dead!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
littleginsu said:
I would love some spider plants and anything else green you got, hunterk997!

I tried to get some spider plants from Home Depot yesterday and they were all dead!

I'm thinking that I can snip the spider plants, and maybe put them in a plastic bag and spray them so they stay alive. I'm not sure. But Christmas cactus cuttings should be easy.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I actually had ordered dahlia bulbs, astilbe, and gerbera dasies to plant in my courtyard.. I have access to tons of tubmleweed, agave, yucca... I might be able to find even more goodies if I take a trip to the San Pedro River Valley (where all the ornate boxies live)!

I can get tons of nice food treats, but none of those plants are really great for inside enclosure growing.. lol!

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Something to keep in mind! If anybody does get any prickly pear cactus pads, you can always replant them! I MEAN THEY ARE ONE HARDY PLANTS! Get a pot, plan them, water on occasions and BAM! FREE FOOD FOR LIFE! Also make sure they get plenty of sunlight!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Jlant85 said:
Something to keep in mind! If anybody does get any prickly pear cactus pads, you can always replant them! I MEAN THEY ARE ONE HARDY PLANTS! Get a pot, plan them, water on occasions and BAM! FREE FOOD FOR LIFE! Also make sure they get plenty of sunlight!

I tried getting three cuttings to root, and they all rotted :( I had them planted separately, too. It's weird though, I'm pretty good with plants.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
hunterk997 said:
Jlant85 said:

I tried getting three cuttings to root, and they all rotted :( I had them planted separately, too. It's weird though, I'm pretty good with plants.

Hey your not alone on that. You do not want to know just how many cactus pads I have killed trying to get them to grow. :(

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Jacqui said:
hunterk997 said:
Jlant85 said:

Hey your not alone on that. You do not want to know just how many cactus pads I have killed trying to get them to grow. :(
I gave up and froze the remaining pads. I still have four or five frozen. They take longer than I expected to be eaten though.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just put them in dirt and don't water them . They will root.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I can attest that cactus isn't as hardy as I would like. I have a heartwrenching picture of a greenhouse full of them flopped over (not for the faint of plant-loving heart :p). Also, freezing them doesn't help. It'll just turn to mush.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I think with things like cactus, or at least my experience having lived in the southwest all my life.. the less you do, the better.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
littleginsu said:
I think with things like cactus, or at least my experience having lived in the southwest all my life.. the less you do, the better.

If only I had the luxury of living there. My father-in-law says that it hasn't been this cold in Maryland in 30 years. I moved here from California not long ago so I wouldn't really know. What I do know, in my limited experience, is that opuntia doesn't fare well in super freezing weather for prolonged periods even if kept dry. They were getting huge over the summer, too :'(

Btw, sorry if I got off-topic.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I think with the cactus pads, you are supposed to leave them out on the counter for a few days to dry out a little bit. Then stick the cut end into the dirt.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I'll try what it has been mentioned here and I let you guys know [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jlant85 said:
LOL LOL LOL!!! you said Frisco and no one else say frisco unless you live in SAN FRANCISCO!!! I TOO LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO! I GOT PLANTAINS IF YOUR UP FOR TRADES!

NO NEED TO SHIP! Meet at a starbucks! LOL LOL LOL! warning tho... i dont plant my plantains on my enclosure... they will destroy (EAT) them all!

I beg to differ...I was raised in S.F. and lived there for about 20 years. If you said "Frisco" you were frowned upon by the locals. We are very protective of our city, and it is never Frisco to the natives! :p

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yvonne G said:
Jlant85 said:
LOL LOL LOL!!! you said Frisco and no one else say frisco unless you live in SAN FRANCISCO!!! I TOO LIVE IN SAN FRANCISCO! I GOT PLANTAINS IF YOUR UP FOR TRADES!

NO NEED TO SHIP! Meet at a starbucks! LOL LOL LOL! warning tho... i dont plant my plantains on my enclosure... they will destroy (EAT) them all!

I beg to differ...I was raised in S.F. and lived there for about 20 years. If you said "Frisco" you were frowned upon by the locals. We are very protective of our city, and it is never Frisco to the natives! :p

I was born and raised there, too (says so on my birth certificate). A popular slogan on 106 KMEL (radio station) comes to mind: "Frisco! You know!" I suppose your locals weren't into rap :p