Tourtise not as Eager to to eat?

mads3732

Location (City and/or State)
Harrington
I just wanted some clarification for my tourtise. He dosnt seem as intrested in food as other tourtises I've seen. He will eat and will eat alot. But he womt seem intrested when I first set it down and at times needs motivation. Is anyone else's tourtise like this?

Jodipg82

Oviedo
I have a Leopard Tort hatchling and he is similar except when it comes to Purslane flowers or Hibiscus flowers and leaves! He loves them and tends to ignore the kale, squash, moistened tort food and I offer them all together...

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
I just wanted some clarification for my tourtise. He dosnt seem as intrested in food as other tourtises I've seen. He will eat and will eat alot. But he womt seem intrested when I first set it down and at times needs motivation. Is anyone else's tourtise like this?
My yearling leopard is the same, he isn't a huge eater and seems to go back and forth on what he likes week to week. The only thing that he will devour everytime you put it down is his Mazuri. If I mix his Mazuri with greens he usually doesn't eat it all.

mads3732

Harrington
My yearling leopard is the same, he isn't a huge eater and seems to go back and forth on what he likes week to week. The only thing that he will devour everytime you put it down is his Mazuri. If I mix his Mazuri with greens he usually doesn't eat it all.

It makes me feel better that some are the same

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If you're setting it down early in the morning, maybe he just needs a bit more basking time to warm up properly. Remember, they can't digest if they're cold, so won't eat.

If you're feeding multiple meals each day, try putting a big pile down in the morning and just leave it all day. Maybe he wants to nibble all day instead of having mealtimes.

I don't think anyone can figure out the minds of torts...they sure can be persnickity!