Tortollini's Outdoor Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkling13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
central NY
Hey everyone, I don't post on here to often but I wanted to share pictures of my Red Foot's outdoor enclosure. I built it this spring and it has hinges in all of the corners so that come winter it can fold up and be stored in the garage. When the lid is on it braces the walls and it's impossible for it to fold up. With the hinged corners I figured it would be easier to extend the length later as well; just unscrew one or more corners and attach an extra wall or two :D. Of course I'd add on another lid section too.

Tortollini's Outdoor Home by inkling13, on Flickr

Her cage is nestled into an empty section of flower bed and backs up against a rock wall. To the side is our gazebo/patio sitting area and whenever we're out there she comes over to say high. In front there's a small lilac bush and a hummingbird feeder so she gets to watch the hummers buzz overhead all day too :)

Inside the cage I've got a plastic tote for a makeshift hide right now but at some point I'm going to make a wooden one maybe with a ramp so she can climb on top of it too. She's also got a large plastic potted plant saucer for a soaking dish. It's on a bit of a slant and there is a rock in the deeper end so in case it rains it doesn't become too deep. I also ringed it with some branches to help her climb in and out and there is a large log nearby that she absolutely loves climbing over. I've sat and watched her go back and forth over it five times in five minutes before just for fun. I think she likes the challenge of the climb. Next spring I'm going to try to plant some edible greens in places so she has more to browse on besides grass.

We live up in Central New York so I always have an eye on the temperature gauge. She goes out whenever its over 70F and on most summer days it gets into the 80s 90s. Most nights she comes inside though, since it usually drops into the 60s.

Tortollini by inkling13, on Flickr

All in all Tortollini seems very happy with her new outdoor digs, especially when her hibiscus plant is in bloom, as you can see. Now I'm back to the drawing board to design a new, bigger, and better indoor enclosure before winter!

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
peasinapod said:
I can't see any pictures. :/

Sorry about that I hadn't posted images in a while and put wrong image link in, it should be fixed now.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
What a cute tortoise! She has almost the same colouring as the hibiscus flower. :D

I like the enclosure and that it can be expanded easily, but doesn't the black hide get really hot during the day?

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
It's beautiful! Both the enclosure and the tortoise! Great job!

Have you seen this idea for a hide? I think I'm going to have fun giving it a try, if successful, I'll post some pic, though it may not be until next spring.

http://www.graeca-home.de/Krueger 2008 e.pdf

Teodora'sDAD

5 Year Member
Michigan
Tigs- thats an awesome idea! Im sure you could make a slew of them out of pieces of sod too!

mikeh

5 Year Member
Nice enclosure. What's that Tortollini?...oh you would like enclosure doubled size next year and a very humid hide. I am sure you will get your wishes.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
peasinapod: I love that her hibiscus flowers have the same shades of yellow and orange she has on her face. It makes it all the cuter when she viciously devours them. The black hide doesn't get too hot, I was concerned about that too when I first put it in there. The way the trees are positioned in out yard the sun doesn't shine inside the box, just on the top and back wall from midday to evening. So while the top can heat up a bit she still has the airflow from the wide front opening and that keeps the temperature inside the box from getting too hot. Unfortunately it doesn't keep the humidity in very well though but it is only temporary and I do intend to replace it soon.

TigsMom: Thanks for the link that looks like an awesome idea! If I use sod like Teodora'sDAD suggested then I've already got the materials at hand and it would be fast and cheap to throw together.

mikeh: Even as I was building it I was planning on expanding the size next year. As of right now it fits the size requirements of 4x8 of the carapace length but by waiting until next year to expand it spreads out the materials expense a little bit.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
It is always wise to colour-coordinate, especially if a photoshoot is in order! ;)
If you checked the temps in the hide already then it's ok. Those plans for humid hides look awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.