Tortoisetown,Turtlesandtortoises,Arizonatortoise compound

Xetryia

Location (City and/or State)
WI
Hello, I would like people to know about my quest for a Hermann's tortoise. I made inquiries to turtlesandtortoises, tortoisetown, and arizona tortoise compound. Here's what happened...

I am not a breeder nor big-time enthusiast. I wanted one Hermann's tortoise, ideally a companion for life. I wanted photos and to choose my new buddy.

I emailed them all, the first two to respond were turtlesandtortoises by a man named Jay and tortoisehouse by Brian.

Tortoise house refused to send photos. The reasoning was to keep costs low (¯\_(ツ)_/¯??), and that a biologist chooses which one at time of shipment. This didn't feel right because only one was listed available on the website and only one confirmed by Brian in my requested age range, so if it wasnt that one...then where am I buying from?

Turtles and tortoises agreed to send photos but never did. They said sure but they all look the same. I highly disagree...shell patterns vary greatly in my eyes and for my lifetime companion, it matters to ME.

The last reply I received from Arizona tortoise compound by Andrew the day after. I was a little unnerved at this point but was welcomed with open arms. They agreed to send photos, ship immediately, and replied frequently. I received the exact tortoise I picked out two days later. The package arrived via Fedex and had a styrofoam encasing, humid moisturized bedding in a neat mini sack, and a heat pack,-still warm. Another important thing included was an instruction sheet on soaking my tortoise upon arrival. My Hermann's was alert and friendly. The tortoise was not shy at all and ate even on the first day.

A week later everything is great. I've done quite a bit of research but if I had any questions I'd feel welcomed to ask Andrew.
Overall a great experience and I do not regret my decision.
I've since named my buddy Hermes after Andrew (Hermes) since I was stuck on one and thought it was a cool name that just clicked.

Attachments

Last edited:

[email protected]

5 Year Member
I bought from Andrew and from Jay, all great experiences. Jay is a wonderful friendly person i would always buy from (responds quick by messenger fb). I got a Pyxis a.a from him absolutely stunning animal very healthy and active until now. Have it since 6 months. I know Andrew since a long time and i bought recently greek tortoises which are doing well. Andrew is very nice and I had never issues with him.

jwking

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I bought my first "leopard" from TortoiseTown and the poor little guy died one week after receiving. It wasn't a leopard and they sold it as a female even though there is no way they could have known what gender it was as it was only a few weeks old. I then went to Arizona Tortoise Compound and Andrew helped me pick out my beautiful healthy hatchling. He is growing like a weed, healthy, curious, and not shy at all. DO NOT BUY FROM TORTOISE TOWN. Here is a photo of my little happy leoard.

Attachments

[email protected]

5 Year Member
I bought my first "leopard" from TortoiseTown and the poor little guy died one week after receiving. It wasn't a leopard and they sold it as a female even though there is no way they could have known what gender it was as it was only a few weeks old. I then went to Arizona Tortoise Compound and Andrew helped me pick out my beautiful healthy hatchling. He is growing like a weed, healthy, curious, and not shy at all. DO NOT BUY FROM TORTOISE TOWN. Here is a photo of my little happy leoard.
I'm very sorry to hear this. Tortoise town does advertise a lot on fauna. He has a very!!! bad reputation and i'm sorry you had to go through that.