Tortoises rubbing as though trying to scratch an itch

Vishnu&Archibald

Location (City and/or State)
Romford
Hi all!

So I have two male Hermann's torts and one of them (Archibald) started rubbing back and forth against the side of the food slab or even just against the soil, sometimes very frantically. I put him to soak one day to see if it would help but it didn't. He starts and stops restlessly. I called the vet to ask whether to bring him in but she said it's probably more a behavioural thing than a medical thing since he is eating and sleeping fine from what I can see. So she said not to worry and that she wouldn't bring him.

But this morning I woke to find that my other one, Vishnu, is doing the exact same thing. I'm obviously a bit worried. Has anyone encountered a similar thing? They're only two years old so I wasn't sure if it's possible that they're a bit frisky. Looks like they're trying to scratch an itch and are probably frustrated. I'd really appreciate any help or advice!

Many Thanks,

Parisha

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi all!

So I have two male Hermann's torts and one of them (Archibald) started rubbing back and forth against the side of the food slab or even just against the soil, sometimes very frantically. I put him to soak one day to see if it would help but it didn't. He starts and stops restlessly. I called the vet to ask whether to bring him in but she said it's probably more a behavioural thing than a medical thing since he is eating and sleeping fine from what I can see. So she said not to worry and that she wouldn't bring him.

But this morning I woke to find that my other one, Vishnu, is doing the exact same thing. I'm obviously a bit worried. Has anyone encountered a similar thing? They're only two years old so I wasn't sure if it's possible that they're a bit frisky. Looks like they're trying to scratch an itch and are probably frustrated. I'd really appreciate any help or advice!

Many Thanks,

Parisha
A lot of turtles and Tortoises do this. It's nothing to worry about.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all!

Many Thanks,

Parisha
We'd have to see a video of it to really know what is happening. Are they everting their penis during this behavior?

The two of them should not be living in the same enclosure. Tortoises should never live in pairs. Do you have them housed separately?

Vishnu&Archibald

Romford
We'd have to see a video of it to really know what is happening. Are they everting their penis during this behavior?

The two of them should not be living in the same enclosure. Tortoises should never live in pairs. Do you have them housed separately?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. I tried to upload a video but I don't think I can directly from my phone. I am looking to separate them asap, I didn't realise this til recently. And no, I can't see any sign of penises.