Tortoises On Fake Grass?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Anyone have experience with this? It seems like a bad idea to me. I'd be worried about the tortoise eating the fake grass. Maybe they'd recognize its not food and leave it alone? Wondering if any one has tried this and what the observations are?

Lokkje

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Phoenix
My younger brother has some of my desert tortoises and they try to eat his fake grass. He’s had to fence them away from it.

Reactions: Tom

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I’ve used artificial grass around their water bowl in the past, this helped with keeping the water clean and prevented weeds from growing all around it. I had no issues with it, keep in mind that this was used for Star tortoises.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I’ve used artificial grass around their water bowl in the past, this helped with keeping the water clean and prevented weeds from growing all around it. I had no issues with it, keep in mind that this was used for Star tortoises.
That makes a good point. Depending on the species .. a sulcata may be a diff story

Reactions: Tom

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I wouldn’t recommend it. Having played on artificial grass for more than 5 years now, the “grass” gets scorching hot on sunny days.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
We had one of those grass door mats by our backdoor, and the tortoises ate it down to its stubs. This was several years ago, and it didn't effect them that I could tell. I would bet a tortoise would eat fake grass.