Tortoises Nails

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Depends upon the species and the gender. Russian tortoises may seem to have nails that need trimming, however, long nails are normal for Russians.

The back claws on a female leopard may seem unusually, long, but this is totally normal for them.

Nail trimming should be considered on a case-by-case basis.

dbbtortoises

Manila, Philippines
Depends upon the species and the gender. Russian tortoises may seem to have nails that need trimming, however, long nails are normal for Russians.

The back claws on a female leopard may seem unusually, long, but this is totally normal for them.

I have a sulcata, radiated and leopard. Their nails are getting long. If I need to cut them, what do I use? Would a nail cutter be fine? :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a sulcata, radiated and leopard. Their nails are getting long. If I need to cut them, what do I use? Would a nail cutter be fine? :)
Generally, tortoise nails do not need to be trimmed. Just walking around outside seems to wear them down appropriately. Post pics of your tortoise's nails and we can tell you what we think.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have flat, cement 20" square cement pads in my outdoor enclosure(s).
Indoors, I used overturned ceramic tiles. Rough side up.
Walking over rough, abrasive terrain keeps nails trimmed naturally.
Do you have a rough, cement area where your tortoises can walk?

dbbtortoises

Manila, Philippines
I have flat, cement 20" square cement pads in my outdoor enclosure(s).
Indoors, I used overturned ceramic tiles. Rough side up.
Walking over rough, abrasive terrain keeps nails trimmed naturally.
Do you have a rough, cement area where your tortoises can walk?
Yes I do. Thank you everyone for your input, I now get what I should do. :)

willee638

HK

Hi I have a question about nails on red foot tortoises, I had initially chose a tortoise for purchase but was pointed out to me by the pet shop salesperson that that particular tortoise had unusually short nails on both front & rare legs, from what I noticed the nails didn't seem to be trimmed but definitely almost none existence compared with others. The legs didn't appear infected or anything but I was concerned & perhaps overly cautious choose not to take any chances since the shop most probably doesn't offer any after sales care or return policy once out the door, that particular tortoise was also larger in size obviously a yearling, could it be possible if an older tortoise was prior kept in a rougher substrate it's nails would wear out easier?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I have a question about nails on red foot tortoises, I had initially chose a tortoise for purchase but was pointed out to me by the pet shop salesperson that that particular tortoise had unusually short nails on both front & rare legs, from what I noticed the nails didn't seem to be trimmed but definitely almost none existence compared with others. The legs didn't appear infected or anything but I was concerned & perhaps overly cautious choose not to take any chances since the shop most probably doesn't offer any after sales care or return policy once out the door, that particular tortoise was also larger in size obviously a yearling, could it be possible if an older tortoise was prior kept in a rougher substrate it's nails would wear out easier?
Yes. Certainly possible, and likely too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When RF tortoises are young they have obvious toenails, but as they get bigger, the nails are just little stubs and hardly visible at all. This is quite common for the species.