Tortoises in the wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merner

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about tortoise behaviour in the wild, particularly Hermann's but I suspect it wouldn't differ too much. I haven't been able to find much at all by googling it.

Do parents stay with and look after their young? If so, how long?
How do baby tortoises survive in the wild? They seem so vulnerable! Especially if I am correct in understanding that they don't hibernate for long in the winter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Parents have no connection to their young. They lay the eggs and their job is done. I don't have any specific information on Hermanni hatchlings, but it seems that most Chelonian hatchlings act pretty similarly, which is that they spend most of their time hidden. But, it is important to remember that a very small amount of hatchlings ever make it to adulthood. Babies do their best to keep hidden and camouflage, but most don't make it.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I don't know where you got your information on wild hatchlings hibernating, but I'm pretty sure that is false. Young and old, tortoises can't operate in winter temps. They have no choice but to hibernate. Maybe you were thinking of the Forums opinion on hibernating hatchlings. While we always try to keep thing as similar to wild conditions as possible, a lot of tweaking is necessary. If not, we'd end up with the large mortality I noted above. So, we feed more often, keep temps warmer, and don't subject them to the same wear and tear that they might be subjected to in the wild.

KiraBeckham

Fort Collins, Colorado
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about tortoise behaviour in the wild, particularly Hermann's but I suspect it wouldn't differ too much. I haven't been able to find much at all by googling it.

Do parents stay with and look after their young? If so, how long?
How do baby tortoises survive in the wild? They seem so vulnerable! Especially if I am correct in understanding that they don't hibernate for long in the winter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They lay eggs and move on! Habitat varies per species, I find it fascinating. Russian tortoise favour the dark damp of tree root burrows and grazing. Their instinct is protect from aerial attack so they will try to avoid open spaces unless huge heavy tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.