Tortoises in the cold?

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Happy? Not really, one lap around the heated house was enough.
View attachment 212958
If this was your photo why were you taking a picture instead of getting your tortoise inside their heated shed? Also that wouldn't be a problem if people would look at the weather to see when snow/low temps were coming. Now I can't vouch for wellington as I have no idea what it's like in Illinois but I can say where I live in Colorado I don't get a lot of snow it's a common misconception that Colorado is very cold and snows all the time. I get snow maybe 15 days a year but on those days I would be prepared. The same thing applies to the temperatures I get now it's not as hot as other states but it's manageable for the tortoise. Not trying to come off as rude though so don't take it that way. :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
If this was your photo why were you taking a picture instead of getting your tortoise inside their heated shed?
Most here know that is my tortoise and my photo. Why wasn't I carrying him back inside? I, for the most part, live the lives they want. Had he not been heading back inside, I would have gotten involved. Get to know me maybe and we can talk.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Most here know that is my tortoise and my photo. Why wasn't I carrying him back inside? I, for the most part, live the lives they want. Had he not been heading back inside, I would have gotten involved. Get to know me maybe and we can talk.
I know that Ken would not let his tortoise freeze out there in the snow.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know that Ken would not let his tortoise freeze out there in the snow.
I guess this is my point. At least from what I have seen with a lot of members with sulcatas. They will wonder out in the snow. Of all the sulcata in the snow pics I have seen, I never heard of any of them getting sick. Now of course they are all adult sulcatas that I have seen and wouldn't suggest ever letting anything other then an adult to have free roam of a snowy yard.
Also as the OP stated about the misconception of the amount of snow he gets in CO, it's the same for a lot of us. We don't have snow 24/7 for months on end. Less then a handful of times do we get a lot of snow that isn't gone in a day or two. One of the reasons I moved to a house that had to have a south facing yard. Lots of sun to melt any snow we do get much faster. Having a snow blower helps too.
With all the tortoises produced each year, specially sulcatas, it's a very good thing that there are people in the snow states that will do what it takes to have one.
Besides, no one/most don't seem to have a problem when it comes time to sell them to people in these areas.

daniellenc

Maryland
I live in Maryland where it is hot and humid as heck in the late spring, summer, and even early fall but bone dry and cold December-March/April. I went with a species I could carry myself knowing it couldn't live outdoors year round here unless I wanted to build an actual second home in my yard which I don't. If you can carry it, afford to build and maintain an outdoor shed, and have the room to spare go for it.