Tortoises from the Seychelles

Sesel

Location (City and/or State)
Seychelles
Understood~

Question: can eggs she is carrying also put pressure on the nerves and therefore affect the back legs?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The large tortoises need a LOT of exercise to aid in digestion. It could very well be that your tortoise is constipated. This puts pressure on the nerves which makes it hard to move the back legs.

~ Great point, looks like your pens are always small and never anything to browse on that grows naturally. Constipation is possible, it could also be a combination of several things. Keeping them in those small pens and not providing natural browsing food choices could lead to many future problems.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
How do you get rid of yours? :)

~ Here is my thoughts, if they are infertile and been in the incubators they are of no value. If by chance they have any bacteria, fungus, etc., i would rather they go to the trash and never possibly have any possible access to my healthy populations or the environment they may have access to. Now, keep in mind that we are not scientist, however we have had little issues health wise and have been following certain protocols for decades. This practice has always worked for us and seems logically just safer to our groups health.Why take any chances, just not worth it.

IMG_7639.JPG

Sesel

Seychelles
~ Here is my thoughts, if they are infertile and been in the incubators they are of no value. If by chance they have any bacteria, fungus, etc., i would rather they go to the trash and never possibly have any possible access to my healthy populations or the environment they may have access to. Now, keep in mind that we are not scientist, however we have had little issues health wise and have been following certain protocols for decades. This practice has always worked for us and seems logically just safer to our groups health.Why take any chances, just not worth it.

Makes sense. Thanks for sharing~
~ Can you share how many egg layers you have and the total egg counts you average annually?

We have only 2 egg layers at the moment. We only started records last year, so it may not be an average. Last year's total egg counts were 92. So that would be an average of 46 per female. Can you share your annual average per female as they are much more mature females?

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
how many hatchlings did you get from the 92 eggs?