Tortoises for sale on Craigslist. Should I purchase?

jgirl218

Location (City and/or State)
Union, NJ
Hi everyone! I’m looking to purchase a Herman’s on Craigslist. This is the ad:

The owner said that he’s two years old and around 6 inches. Sounds like he’s almost at adult size but he’s still a yearling.

Is there anything I should look out for? I’m a newbie to this world lol.

(Also for added context, I won’t keep him in the glass tank. I’m going to build him a wooden enclosure. How big should it be for his size?)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a minimum of a 4x8 foot enclosure.
Make sure he can walk up on all four.
Ask about diet and how often they give a soak and do they have water available to him 24/7

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Is it just me or does the shell look sort of MBD-ish? Just because of the weird mohawk thing going on. Good thing is you can make sure it doesn't get worse if you took this guy in.

Ask them about their lights and if they frequently checked the UV output or changed them every 6 months - 1 year.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I saved my Eastern Hermanns with a wood enclosure and lights on craigslist. $400 seems like a lot of money ... My opinion only.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone! I’m looking to purchase a Herman’s on Craigslist. This is the ad:

The owner said that he’s two years old and around 6 inches. Sounds like he’s almost at adult size but he’s still a yearling.

Is there anything I should look out for? I’m a newbie to this world lol.

(Also for added context, I won’t keep him in the glass tank. I’m going to build him a wooden enclosure. How big should it be for his size?)
That tortoise is overpriced and has a pyramided shell. It has not been that well taken care of, which may or may not not be the owner's fault as he/she could have been given bad info on how to raise it, but still, the tortoise is misshapen and looks a bit "off".

You could buy a very well started baby which is in good health from a Tortoise Forum member for $160 right now. IMHO that is a much better alternative than buying one which already has two strikes against it and will potentially cost you lots of additional money in vet bills.

Here is a link to Gary's ad in case you are interested:

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It's one thing to rescue a tortoise...but $400 is a non-starter. I'm sure they're trying to recoup their set up, but that needs replacing.

If they wanted to give you the animal (bearing in mind you'd have your rehabbing work cut out for you) and then sell the equipment...

Reactions: Ink

jgirl218

Union, NJ
It's one thing to rescue a tortoise...but $400 is a non-starter. I'm sure they're trying to recoup their set up, but that needs replacing.

If they wanted to give you the animal (bearing in mind you'd have your rehabbing work cut out for you) and then sell the equipment...
Which parts of the set up would need to be replaced (besides the enclosure itself?

Would it make sense for me to just ask for the tortoise by itself?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That tortoise is overpriced and has a pyramided shell. It has not been that well taken care of, which may or may not not be the owner's fault as he/she could have been given bad info on how to raise it, but still, the tortoise is misshapen and looks a bit "off".

You could buy a very well started baby which is in good health from a Tortoise Forum member for $160 right now. IMHO that is a much better alternative than buying one which already has two strikes against it and will potentially cost you lots of additional money in vet bills.

Here is a link to Gary's ad in case you are interested:

Good eyes. It is very unusual to see pyramiding this bad in this kind of tortoise. That is a very bad care sign $400 may be the tip of the iceberg for what you could spend.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Which parts of the set up would need to be replaced (besides the enclosure itself?

That tank is much too small...which is most of the value in the ad, IMO. Fixtures, substrate, dishes, and plants don't cost much and are best bought new to suit a proper enclosure. Tortoises can seem very compact and ungainly, but they need a lot of room to exercise and regulate their internal body temperature.

This is what you need care-wise:

Whether you would take this animal depends a lot on whether you have experience with MBD, or have access to qualified, on-going medical support (won't be cheap...a lot of people won't find it affordable). MBD reptiles can recover in time and do well, or they can die at any point when one bodily system or another just gives out. The bones are not the only organs that are affected by the metabolic disease process.

Reptiles with this type of care history are also often suffering from dehydration - which damages other organs and systems. Kidney damage, bladder stones, sustained low blood pressure...lots of unhealthful variables.

If you are new to tortoises and to reptiles in general, I'd recommend buying a properly-hatched and raised one.

zovick

10 Year Member!

I again heartily recommend that you let someone else take on this headache and instead buy a healthy tortoise which has had a proper start in life.

Gary Bright is only 3 hours from you near Oneonta, NY. You might even be able to go up there and pick out your own baby from his group if you didn't want to have him send one to you.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
Is it just me or does the shell look sort of MBD-ish? Just because of the weird mohawk thing going on. Good thing is you can make sure it doesn't get worse if you took this guy in.

Ask them about their lights and if they frequently checked the UV output or changed them every 6 months - 1 year.
He is so cute! I agree he looks like he has pyramiding! I see someone is suggesting you get a cheaper one thru TTF. However, I hope you take him. He needs a good loving home with good care!