Tortoises fighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glittertortoise

5 Year Member
I know it's under advanced topics which is probably not so advance but i have a desert tortoise which is a few years old and have had her for awhile. I have just received a baby tortoise from my moms coworker who could not take care of him. So he has started to pyramid and has always been in a cage never even been outside or eaten real greens (they would feed him dog food). The tortoise I have is free roaming outside. Now I put the new baby outside and my older one bobs her head at him and started to bite his shell? I could be confused about sexes so that could be a thing too? The baby one does nothing but takes it? Will my older one stop doing this or will they have to be separate forever? My older tortoise is even bobbing her head at our dog which she never started doing before this new baby tortoise. Please help concerned for the safety of the baby tortoise.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1376424201.213929.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376424224.319828.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1376424183.193864.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1376424183.193864.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's more of a territorial thing rather than a male thing. Your tortoise doesn't want this new tortoise in his territory and is trying to chase him away.

Also, your tortoise might be too young yet to sex. They all look female until about 6 or 8 years of age.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep a very close eye on them. The one being bullied may get sick or even die. If it doesn't stop very soon, you will need to give them their own enclosures. Most Tortoises do not want or need a companion, as you are noticing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tortoises are solitary animals. They don't need or want company. You need to separate these two. Pairs are about the worse case scenario.

Your DTs are very unusual looking. Where did you get them? Where are you? Are you sure of the species? The small one has a very sulcata like shell, but the leg scales look very DT. Very interesting. They look more like Chacos to some degree.

glittertortoise

5 Year Member
Moved: Tortoises fighting?

My older one my mom got a friend who raises desert tortoises and the little one I got from my moms co worker. I live in Las Vegas. They seem to be getting along now the little one bite the older one and the older one did nothing so maybe they are just adjusting? The yard is large and they can be separate all the time.

ICUSleeping

5 Year Member
Casselberry
I don't think the biting will stop...I think they both might keep doing it to each other...good luck I hope it works out

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Quarantine for at least 3 months. Even then I would advise separate enclosures for best health.

Good luck.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Please separate them NOW. These two will only hurt each other. It's likely the the smaller one will lose a battle with the larger one. If they are in a large backyard, you can separate them easier. Provide separate hides, bowls for food, and plenty of shrubs to hide. Feed them at opposite ends of the yard. If they find each other and still one is being bullied, then put a divide between them so they can't make contact. But, don't dismiss this warning because you feel this is normal or they'll eventually get along. The fact is that torts are territorial and can kill a smaller tort over this. Do what you can to separate them now...don't wait!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I agree. You need to seperate them. They may act like they get along better at times but it wont last. I have heard too many sad stories that end up with one dieing. Why take the chance?

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
I agree 100% with sibi. Are they both Desert Torts? The little one looks different than the big one in that pic to me.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
That's what's so interesting with these torts. Tom mentioned what I thought too; that the smaller one looks like a sulcata if it weren't for the legs. Is it possible that a DT mated with a sully and produced this sub species? Very interesting, but separate them now.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Your tortoises are awfully cute. Both of them have neat colors. I really want to know what kind of desert tortoises they are. Any way of finding out from the friends you got them from? Or are any experts available to tell us all? Way cute, cute. : )

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow...that is an interesting looking tort....sure does remind me of a Texas Tort x ?

Texas_tortoise_face_op_800x600.jpg

Regardless, back to your question :D Desert torts are extremely, did I say extremely, tenacious gladiators (especially the males)...so if you are dealing with the chase and follow I would suggest you separate them....also, they should really not be placed together at all until you have quarantined the newbie (I would not put them together at all, but especially before 6 months at least of quarantine)....

They are both lovely torts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.