Tortoises eating coconut coir fibers???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I want to do it right, I don’t think I’m doing it all wrong but I’m trying to make sure it is the best it can be for my torts
You are definitely not doing it "all" wrong. Just a figure of speech meant to relate how some people feel when I offer this info. It sounds like you are doing pretty well compared to most. Daily soaks and a damp substrate make a world of difference and you've got that right. Your diet options are also far better than what most people offer to a baby tortoise. Over all, I wold give you an "A". We are just nitpicking at minor details here to help you fix this problem, and make it an "A+". You got the wrong UV bulb, and your substrate sounds like it needs some hand packing, but other than that, you are doing great.

CDTNoob

Anaheim
You are definitely not doing it "all" wrong. Just a figure of speech meant to relate how some people feel when I offer this info. It sounds like you are doing pretty well compared to most. Daily soaks and a damp substrate make a world of difference and you've got that right. Your diet options are also far better than what most people offer to a baby tortoise. Over all, I wold give you an "A". We are just nitpicking at minor details here to help you fix this problem, and make it an "A+". You got the wrong UV bulb, and your substrate sounds like it needs some hand packing, but other than that, you are doing great.
I am a little confused on the incandescent flood bulb. I cannot get those in Ca. You use them because you get them shipped to you by friends. Can I use any flood type bulb that I find at Home Depot type store? Thanks for the “A” I really try.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am a little confused on the incandescent flood bulb. I cannot get those in Ca. You use them because you get them shipped to you by friends. Can I use any flood type bulb that I find at Home Depot type store? Thanks for the “A” I really try.
I use them because they are the best option and produce the best results.

I get them shipped to me from out of state because that is the only way we can get them here in CA now. Or you could drive to NV or AZ and get them yourself. They are banned here now. You will not find them at Home Depot or any where else. You can only find "LED Replacement Bulbs", which produce no heat and are useless for the purpose of tortoise basking.

CDTNoob

Anaheim

I get them shipped to me from out of state because that is the only way we can get them here in CA now. Or you could drive to NV or AZ and get them yourself. They are banned here now. You will not find them at Home Depot or any where else. You can only find "LED Replacement Bulbs", which produce no heat and are useless for the purpose of tortoise basking.
Ok so in that case the next best option would be the basking bulb I am using right?

bluRose09

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
SoCal

I ordered some online from Lowes 6 months ago. They were delivered to me in San Diego. They are not LED replacement bulbs. They keep my torts basking area in the 90’s without a problem. Home Depot does not sell them in CA.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I ordered some online from Lowes 6 months ago. They were delivered to me in San Diego. They are not LED replacement bulbs. They keep my torts basking area in the 90’s without a problem. Home Depot does not sell them in CA.
Online? In store? I've tried multiple ways and had no success. Please share the details because I used to go buy what I needed at Lowes and would be happy to continue.

CDTNoob

Anaheim
Online? In store? I've tried multiple ways and had no success. Please share the details because I used to go buy what I needed at Lowes and would be happy to continue.
Everything I look at says shipping not available for your area, even Amazon won’t ship them to me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What makes them better t

ok so flood light bulb is the absolute best. Why do the spot basking bulbs make them pyramid? And hot flood bulbs don’t?
Flood bulbs spread the heat out over a greater area with less propensity for hot spots in centralized small areas like a spot bulb produces. This is why a round bulb can work too, but floods direct more of the energy down where we want it, so allow us to use lower wattage bulbs to accomplish what we need to do.

Spot bulbs concentrate the IRA rays into a smaller area and do more damage. Flood bulbs spread the IRA rays out and do less damage. I wish there were a better alternative, and I am always looking for one, but nothing so far. The sun still does it best, and our atmosphere filters out the damaging IRA rays almost entirely.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everything I look at says shipping not available for your area, even Amazon won’t ship them to me.
Right. That's what I told you. You have to have someone out of state order them and ship them to you. Its a pain the butt. Say thanks to the nut jobs running the state.

bluRose09

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
SoCal
I ordered them online. It is a 65watt flood bulb. I’m not sure if I still have the box. I purchased a package of 3 bulbs.

CDTNoob

Anaheim
Flood bulbs spread the heat out over a greater area with less propensity for hot spots in centralized small areas like a spot bulb produces. This is why a round bulb can work too, but floods direct more of the energy down where we want it, so allow us to use lower wattage bulbs to accomplish what we need to do.

Spot bulbs concentrate the IRA rays into a smaller area and do more damage. Flood bulbs spread the IRA rays out and do less damage. I wish there were a better alternative, and I am always looking for one, but nothing so far. The sun still does it best, and our atmosphere filters out the damaging IRA rays almost entirely.
Thanks for the explanation , I really appreciate your knowledge and wisdom. Thanks for explaining why, most people just say this is best and don’t provide why it’s the best.

CDTNoob

Anaheim
How far away do i want the uvb bulb, I am a bit confused on proper distance. I currently have my reptisun 10.0 bulb about 16 inches away from the animals. Is this too far away? I am very concerned about their eyes now, but cant get a linear setup for a little bit.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
How far away do i want the uvb bulb, I am a bit confused on proper distance. I currently have my reptisun 10.0 bulb about 16 inches away from the animals. Is this too far away? I am very concerned about their eyes now, but cant get a linear setup for a little bit.

Shut off and don't use the coil bulb at all until you get the linear tube (T5 bulb). A 10.0 T5 linear tube will need to be mounted about 22-24" from tortoise level.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That UVB bulb needs to be turned off immediately. It should never be used. They don't need UV all day every day. They can go weeks with no UV bulb while you order and wait for a new one with no ill effect, They store D3 in their bodies and use it as needed. You can offer the calcium supplement with D3 and both ZooMed and Mazuri have added D3 too.

Again, you don't need an indoor UV bulb at all. In our climate we can use sunshine in a safe outdoor enclosure for most of every year. One hour two or three times a week is plenty of tuning time. Be sure there is ALWAYS shade available. Turn that potential eye burner off ASAP.

When you get the correct UV tube, you need a meter to set the height. Every bulb, fixture, reflector hood, and enclosure is different. We can give you a guesstimate based on previous experience with a given bulb, but only a Solarmeter 6.5 can tell you exactly what is going on in YOUR enclosure under YOUR bulb. But I'll say it again, you don't need a UV bulb or a UV meter in our climate unless you just want to do it that way. I choose to do it that way and I have a meter and some UV tubes, but you and I don't "need" it like someone in Northern Michigan or the UK might need it for several months of every year.

CDTNoob

Anaheim
It has been turned off and unplugged never to be turned on again.
That UVB bulb needs to be turned off immediately. It should never be used. They don't need UV all day every day. They can go weeks with no UV bulb while you order and wait for a new one with no ill effect, They store D3 in their bodies and use it as needed. You can offer the calcium supplement with D3 and both ZooMed and Mazuri have added D3 too.

Again, you don't need an indoor UV bulb at all. In our climate we can use sunshine in a safe outdoor enclosure for most of every year. One hour two or three times a week is plenty of tuning time. Be sure there is ALWAYS shade available. Turn that potential eye burner off ASAP.

When you get the correct UV tube, you need a meter to set the height. Every bulb, fixture, reflector hood, and enclosure is different. We can give you a guesstimate based on previous experience with a given bulb, but only a Solarmeter 6.5 can tell you exactly what is going on in YOUR enclosure under YOUR bulb. But I'll say it again, you don't need a UV bulb or a UV meter in our climate unless you just want to do it that way. I choose to do it that way and I have a meter and some UV tubes, but you and I don't "need" it like someone in Northern Michigan or the UK might need it for several months of every year.
It has been turned off and unplugged never to be turned on again.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

SanctuaryHills

Miami, FL
I am using organic topsoil mixed with the coconut coir in a 50/50 ratio, not just dirt from outside if that makes a difference.
I am feeding them baby spring salad mix minus the spinach I pick it out, hibiscus flowers and leaves, grape leaves, prickly pear cactus pads, kale, repashy green grazer, mazuri small tortoise food the LS variety. I am also sprinkling repashy calcium plus HyD every few days.
Wait, spinach is bad?