Tortoises Christmas Presents

TortMom6

Location (City and/or State)
Citrus Heights, California, USA
It's that time of year again! Christmas! And per my usual MO I haven't finished shopping yet. All the humans are done, but I still haven't got any thing for my shelled babies.

So, I am wondering what do you all get your tortoises for Christmas? Do you get them anything at all?

I have a juvenile Leopard tortoise, a 4 month old Greek tortoise, and an adult male 3 toed box turtle (He lives indoors full time and I don't hibernate him, so he's awake and wants his present).

OI000042.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's that time of year again! Christmas! And per my usual MO I haven't finished shopping yet. All the humans are done, but I still haven't got any thing for my shelled babies.

So, I am wondering what do you all get your tortoises for Christmas? Do you get them anything at all?

I have a juvenile Leopard tortoise, a 4 month old Greek tortoise, and an adult male 3 toed box turtle (He lives indoors full time and I don't hibernate him, so he's awake and wants his present).

View attachment 259859
Joe was in a box hibernating for every Christmas except one in his 47 years with us. So no, we have never done anything for him except did get some Brussels Spout tops for Christmas dinner that one year.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
We are also in hibernation but I am working on a “surprise” now.

We’ve got a nice little excerpt on the forum on wild Russian diet in Uzbekistan, where my Russian may have been taken from. Wild Russians in that area eat a lot of Ceratocephalus in the spring; it’s a buttercup. Buttercups are in the Ranunculaceae plant family; the Tortoise Table is very anti ranunculus but I am not in agreement in them on this.

It’s the one plant family I haven’t been able to provide but I was able to track down a native California buttercup this year and they just arrived today! She certainly doesn’t “need” them but I like the idea of her having access to something she grew up on. We’ll see what happens when she finds them this spring.

The variety she had “at home” are a bit stragglier than mine but I think they’re close enough.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
All my Greek and Russian hatchlings are going to get upgraded enclosure space for Christmas. I'm in the process of building 7 tortoise tables! The babies are only 4-6 months old, but their new habitats will be twice the size they have now.
For Christmas?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
For Christmas?
Yep! They are ready for more room to roam. I should have them all done by next weekend. My goal is to be ready by New Year's to move them into new diggs. New larger humid hides and new lights too (switching to the Arcadia T5 fluorescent UVB). Spoiled babies!

Joma

Taos, NM
A little of the fobidden “fruit” .... grapes? Mine at least, loves them! Tis’ the season ... for non-hibernating tortoises to celebrate the passing of the solstice and the return of sunny days lol.

TortMom6

We are also in hibernation but I am working on a “surprise” now.

We’ve got a nice little excerpt on the forum on wild Russian diet in Uzbekistan, where my Russian may have been taken from. Wild Russians in that area eat a lot of Ceratocephalus in the spring; it’s a buttercup. Buttercups are in the Ranunculaceae plant family; the Tortoise Table is very anti ranunculus but I am not in agreement in them on this.

It’s the one plant family I haven’t been able to provide but I was able to track down a native California buttercup this year and they just arrived today! She certainly doesn’t “need” them but I like the idea of her having access to something she grew up on. We’ll see what happens when she finds them this spring.

The variety she had “at home” are a bit stragglier than mine but I think they’re close enough.
That's really cool, and super dedicated. She'll love them I'm sure.

TortMom6

A little of the fobidden “fruit” .... grapes? Mine at least, loves them! Tis’ the season ... for non-hibernating tortoises to celebrate the passing of the solstice and the return of sunny days lol.
That's a really good idea. My box turtle will be especially pleased with some fruit. When I first got him I gave him fruit way way to frequently. Then I found this forum and a local Turtle and Tortoise club and learned that fruit isn't good. So I stopped giving fruit, but I'm sure as a once treat it would be ok. And he'll love it.

TortMom6

Is chia (Salvia hispanica) safe for tortoises?

I thought about getting a Chia Pet for my tortoises enclosure as his Christmas present, but wanted to make sure it was safe first.

When I put the scientific name into the Tortoise Table it says it's safe, but the picture looks like a flower.