• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Tortoises CAN swim

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
It has been proven that in the wild, redfoots will often swim in hunt for fish/ underwater plants. I know tortoises shouldn't be put underwater but i just wanted to see if he could actually swim. Proves he can! http://youtu.be/_3gzoe95v7E

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
It IS certain species. After all, how often would an arid species need to cross a body of water compared to a forest species?

kanalomele

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
I recently used swimming therapy in the rehabilitation of a very weak redfoot that would wobble and then collapse back onto its belly. It was extremely dehydrated anyway and required daily soaking. When it was soaking I would gradually increase the water level until it was swimming around and getting some good exercise. After a couple of weeks I finally saw it stand up square or its stronger legs! I have used swimming therapy in the rehabilitation of several rescues.

Status
Not open for further replies.