Tortoises and Humidity

Bones40

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hey everyone, my name is Kevin and about a month or so ago I decide to get a tortoise, so I started researching. I have some experience keeping other reptiles (lizards and geckos) but have no experience with tortoises. I have found answers to most of my questions, but the one question I really haven't been able to find an answer for is humidity. I live in northwest Louisiana, so the humidity averages 70% throughout the year with highs over 90%. This seems like almost perfect conditions for a redfoot/yellowfoot/cherryhead but I was wondering if there are any other species or subspecies of tortoises that thrive in high humidity. I plan on purchasing a baby tortoise and keeping it inside for the first few years, but would like to be able to eventually keep him in an outside enclosure. I have also read some articles that say that the higher humidity isn't really an issue for other species of tortoises as long as the temperatures stay above 70 degrees or so. Any help or clarification on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kevin

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Hey everyone, my name is Kevin and about a month or so ago I decide to get a tortoise, so I started researching. I have some experience keeping other reptiles (lizards and geckos) but have no experience with tortoises. I have found answers to most of my questions, but the one question I really haven't been able to find an answer for is humidity. I live in northwest Louisiana, so the humidity averages 70% throughout the year with highs over 90%. This seems like almost perfect conditions for a redfoot/yellowfoot/cherryhead but I was wondering if there are any other species or subspecies of tortoises that thrive in high humidity. I plan on purchasing a baby tortoise and keeping it inside for the first few years, but would like to be able to eventually keep him in an outside enclosure. I have also read some articles that say that the higher humidity isn't really an issue for other species of tortoises as long as the temperatures stay above 70 degrees or so. Any help or clarification on this issue would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Kevin

All tortoise species of all ages benefit from high humidity (80%-100%) provided that the night time temperatures are not low enough to cause infections.

Bones40

Louisiana
All tortoise species of all ages benefit from high humidity (80%-100%) provided that the night time temperatures are not low enough to cause infections.
Thanks for the quick response. That's the idea I was getting but then I'd read other people with "recommended" humidity levels that made it sounds like the tortoise would get sick with any humidity outside that range. Anyways, thanks again. I appreciate the help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most species will do well in your climate with a little heat help for some parts of the year. Babies should be mostly indoors, but its good for them to get some limited outdoor time in a safe enclosure too.

I'd avoid Russians and regular leopards, but just about everything else should do well for you there.

Look at elongated tortoises, South African leopards, pancakes, hermanni, marginated, sulcatas, radiata, burmese brown mountain tortoises, Burmese star tortoises, and hinge back tortoises.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks for the quick response. That's the idea I was getting but then I'd read other people with "recommended" humidity levels that made it sounds like the tortoise would get sick with any humidity outside that range. Anyways, thanks again. I appreciate the help.

The latest study on tortoise research. Thank @Kapidolo Farms for the link.

Read about the sections pertaining humidity levels for tortoises and how they cope with it in the wild as well as in captivity. Tortoise forum has been saying the same thing about humidity for years, long before any other site. Members are always coming up with different mini studies in order to get a better understanding on the latest, safest, and most effective care possible. This is one of the main reasons why members would tell new owners to ignore everything they learned prior to this site. You'll less likely go wrong listening to the latest up to date information this site has to offer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Bones40

Louisiana
Most species will do well in your climate with a little heat help for some parts of the year. Babies should be mostly indoors, but its good for them to get some limited outdoor time in a safe enclosure too.

I'd avoid Russians and regular leopards, but just about everything else should do well for you there.

Look at elongated tortoises, South African leopards, pancakes, hermanni, marginated, sulcatas, radiata, burmese brown mountain tortoises, Burmese star tortoises, and hinge back tortoises.
Thanks for the help. I was planning to keep the baby inside for at least the first two years with a little outside play time.

I appreciate the suggestions for tortoises to look at and stay away from, that helps a lot.

Bones40

Louisiana
The latest study on tortoise research. Thank @Kapidolo Farms for the link.

Read about the sections pertaining humidity levels for tortoises and how they cope with it in the wild as well as in captivity. Tortoise forum has been saying the same thing about humidity for years, long before any other site. Members are always coming up with different mini studies in order to get a better understanding on the latest, safest, and most effective care possible. This is one of the main reasons why members would tell new owners to ignore everything they learned prior to this site. You'll less likely go wrong listening to the latest up to date information this site has to offer.
Thanks for the link. There was a lot of good information in there. One of the reasons I joined this forum to ask this question is because I had read other threads on here that answered some of my other questions and gave the reasons behind the answer instead of just spouting random information like some other sites and articles I've read. I'm definitely sticking to here for any further advice I need. Thanks once again for the help.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thanks for the link. There was a lot of good information in there. One of the reasons I joined this forum to ask this question is because I had read other threads on here that answered some of my other questions and gave the reasons behind the answer instead of just spouting random information like some other sites and articles I've read. I'm definitely sticking to here for any further advice I need. Thanks once again for the help.

In fairness, members including myself do a bit of that as well in an effort to make replies much shorter and more direct. But we're always happy to elaborate in detail when asked.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Answers don't mean nearly as much unless you understand the why behind them.
Hello from North Florida, and welcome to the Forum!