Tortoises and dogs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen Tullett

5 Year Member
Hi there,

Am just wondering if anyone can help me. I have a 5 yr old Hermann called Herbie (male ) who I am besotted with:) He is my no 1 priority but I am considering getting a dog in the next few years but more specifically a whippet. I've done dome research on line and I think they may have too strong a hunt drive for having with a tortoise. Does any one else have one and if so how do they get on? I wouldn't want to get any breed that would impact on Herbie's harmony & happiness, I've always wanted a whippet but would welcome suggestions for other breeds that are good with tortoises?

I'd especially like one from a puppy age so they could get used to eachother:)

Big thanks
Helen & Herbie:tort:

Attachments

• Herbielove.jpg
    Herbielove.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 21

cherylim

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Leyland, UK
Really, you don't want to be putting any dogs and tortoises together. No dog can be guaranteed not to be aggressive, and there are so many other dangers, too. It's best to keep Herbie in his enclosure, by a lid or mesh to cover it if it's not covered already, and keep the two separate outdoors.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No dog should be housed with a tortoise unless under 24/7 supervision, never taking your attention away from where the two are. My opinion. Too many have had their torts bitten by their dog that they thought would never do something like that. My opinion, get your whippet and never let them be together without the whippet on a leash and in your control. Again my opinion :D Also I am a dog lover and the leader of my dog first and foremost, but would never do it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have had a few tortoise brought to me over the years "to save" that have been mauled by a family dog that in one of the owners words "would never hurt a thing". I wish I had some nasty graphic photos of them to post for all to see. Most dogs see tortoises as walking chew toys, doesn't matter if it's a Maltese or a Mastiff. I love dogs dearly, we have three of them and I think know them very well. I also don't trust a single one of them around my other animals, period.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yeah...I am going yo agree totally...a dog and tortoise don't mesh ...sure the dog may be aok for years....no prob...then one day you may find your tort has been used as a chew toy...it is not pretty by any physical standard nor is it healthy for them to have been traumatized by hearing and feeling their shell being pierced and ripped apart nor the feeling of their legs being ripped from their body...so....as I said I don't think dogs and reptiles mesh very well....now that is not to say it can never happen...but more likely not....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Angela nailed it above. So many times they get along for years, and then, one day...

Breed of dog does not matter, and no amount of training matters if a person is not there to supervise. Also, I find that much of what is written on the internet about the various breeds is non-senseical.

The only safe way to handle it is too not let the dog have access to the tortoise. If you are confident in your dog, his training level and your ability to control him, then I think supervised proximity is fine. I frequently work dogs inside my tortoise pen and the tortoises make a nice distraction at first. Pretty soon the dogs learn to ignore them. I still don't leave them together unsupervised...

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have been living with dogs and reptiles for 15 years now. My 10 year old mutt is the most gentle creature on earth. As close to zero prey drive as a dog can get. Yet I never, ever leave her around any herps. No dog, whippet or not, should be left around the herps. In 15 years, not one herp in my house has ever been injured by a dog because I do not allow them access to them!

Katherine

5 Year Member
I think it's commendable and very sweet that you are being considerate of your existing pet before adding to the family, not everyone has that foresight! Like the above posters I would be wary to leave ANY dog unsupervised with a tortoise because all dogs are curious by nature and torts are like strange moving rocks that they are usual dying to understand.

In a way, that turns out to be awesome for you, because it allows you to open your doors to any dog you desire (including the coveted whippit) once you devise a plan to keep the two segregated. Like many posters before me I have a ton of tortoises and turtles and three awesome dogs and have never had an issue. It only takes a moment for a tragic mistake to happen but as long as you are diligent about NO unsupervised access you should not have an issue. Kudos on doing your homework and thanks for thinking of your tortoise first, I am sure he appreciates you : )

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
Angela nailed it above. So many times they get along for years, and then, one day...

Breed of dog does not matter, and no amount of training matters if a person is not there to supervise. Also, I find that much of what is written on the internet about the various breeds is non-senseical.

The only safe way to handle it is too not let the dog have access to the tortoise. If you are confident in your dog, his training level and your ability to control him, then I think supervised proximity is fine. I frequently work dogs inside my tortoise pen and the tortoises make a nice distraction at first. Pretty soon the dogs learn to ignore them. I still don't leave them together unsupervised...

BINGO!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I have a baby gate across the area that we let our Russian use to exercise(also to keep the dogs out while we are at work). When she is out running around we pull the gate across and the dogs have the rest of the house to run. They sometimes get whiny after a while of being locked out but it makes me feel safe. My lab doesn't seem to give two craps about the tortoise but my schnauzer is overly interested. Either way, I feel safer with the dogs on the other side of the barrier when my baby girl is out.
I will take a picture of the gate, it actually isnt bad looking and it hides behind the curtains we hung to be able to shut off the theater room.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
As promised here is what I use to keep the furries and the scalies apart
6c4ad763.jpg

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I just looked and realized my chocolate lab could be mistaken for a shadow in that picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.