Tortoises and aggression..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I am going to be getting one maybe two more baby hermann's tortoises within the week yayayaaa:D:D:D:D. I am wondering if I have three of them housed together when I should expect to see the males showing aggression towards each other if I do end up with more than one male. I know that with most reptiles, it is apparent when they reach the adolescence stage. I am wondering if it is the same with tortoises, and approximately when that is.

Any input would be swell :)

Cheers!! yay

Rosiee

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
i have been told by experts of this site adn reasearch i have done that yes male Hermanns will show aggression towards each other around adolescent age which is roughly when your tortoise is 6 or 7 years old, so around that time keep a eye on behaviour and act opon it.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Granolagal said:
I am going to be getting one maybe two more baby hermann's tortoises within the week yayayaaa:D:D:D:D. I am wondering if I have three of them housed together when I should expect to see the males showing aggression towards each other if I do end up with more than one male. I know that with most reptiles, it is apparent when they reach the adolescence stage. I am wondering if it is the same with tortoises, and approximately when that is.

Any input would be swell :)

Cheers!! yay

I would say on average 7 years, so you still have a long time to go.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have had hermann's breed here in South Florida as young as four years old. Keep in mind that they do not experience any hibernation down here. Males can be a little belligerent to one another, but I have never had a "problem" with that. I did have to put an epoxy patch on a female that they were breeding so much that they were wearing down her shell though. They are not like male elongates or yellowfoots which will actually kill each other! Congrats Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much guys! I figured that I had at least four years, but seven sounds even better.

Should be getting the new babes this week end...can't wait. I have chosen to let my five year old son name them...risky I know...lol. It is possible they will be 'Batman and Robin' we will wait and see...

I will keep you all posted. Thanks again for your much valued advice.
Cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.