Tortoise won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

radorix454

5 Year Member
Hello,

We just purchased a leopard tortoise a week ago and he's not eating as of yet. The pet store we bought him from had him on a diet solely of lettuce which from what we read is not a good diet for him. So we picked him up some Zoo Med grassland tortoise food and some kind of tortoise bites food. I can't the exact one we have right this second but it's yellowish cubes

Grassland Food

and mixed that jungle mix potting soil like substrate in with his bedding so he can burrow. We put more of it underneath his hide. We did some research and built him a large box outside to run around in that he spends a couple of hours a day in (has a hide box in it as well. as well with lots of grass and clover in it. He has a basking spot at 92 degrees and the rest of the enclosure is at 80 degrees.

When we first got him we noticed he was sneezing some and had a bit of a runny nose "guessing runny nose syndrome" that we read is common in them but it has since cleared up once he started being able to go outside.

However it seems to me that he should be a pretty happy guy but he just won't eat. I realize it sometimes takes animals a while to adjust enough to feel comfortable enough to do so but I'm pretty concerned about that. I don't want him to not eat and get sick or anything. I've tried offering him lettuce as well and he's not touching it. He did eat a very small amount of clover while he was outside one day. About 2 bites and was done and back to exploring. He's still pretty active so that helps not to worry quite as much. Is there anything I can offer him to keep his health up till I can find the right food that he will eat?

He's just a little guy in a 30 gallon tank at the moment which seems to have plenty of room for him till I can get him a custom tank built.

I usually deal with reptiles such as bearded dragons so tortoises are a bit new to me. Which overall they don't seem way drastically different I just want to make sure my tortoise has a good healthy long life.

Thank you

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I personally would not offer the commercial food especially the bite things....and if he was eating lettuce he knows what green leafy lettuce is so this is a plus....I would get some organic spring mix and cut it up small and out a small amount on his eating dish.....I would soak him in a warm water soak for awhile (20 mins) and then from the soak I would place him in front of his food....kinda touch his nose on the food gently as you set him down....then don't bother him too much....let him settle in. He will become secure and confident with himself if he is not freaked out by the big grabby thing and the big eyed face peeking at him.....lol

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please read the threads at the bottom of my post, by my signature. All of them are good for raising a healthy, smooth leopard. As ascott said, get some spring mix and all other dark leafy greens, kale, mustard, endive, dandelion, etc, no head lettuce. Chop up small and feed as much as he will eat two times a day. Daily warm water soaks. Basking spot 95-100, all over temp 80-85, nite time temp 80-85 and these temps are with a humidity of 80% or higher. Most baby leopards will not eat grass or hay. You can also buy Mazuri Tortoise food to feed along with the greens. Get him outside in the sun, with shade available as often as possible. If you can't get him outside at least 3 days a week for an hour each day, you will have to have a UVB light for his inside enclosure. Good luck, please read the threads below.:D

radorix454

5 Year Member
I knew there was something I was forgetting. We have been giving him a daily warm bath for 20 minutes and that's usually where he makes his poops at. I'll try getting some spring mix. The lettuce I've been trying to get him to eat is like Collard Greens and Romaine Lettuce but they just aren't appealing. He spends a couple hours a day outside in the sun right now and seems to really enjoy that.

thanks! I've done a fair amount of research on these guys and quite frankly the more the merrier!

Status
Not open for further replies.