Tortoise wont eat - how long is that ok for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusty Pie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am looking after my friends tortoise whilst she is away. It refuses to eat and has done so since last Tuesday (they went on the previous Sunday). She is a tricky customer at the best of times, as she has to be hand fed and has been for the last 30 years.

I give her the bath bit so she drinks etc. And then give her the usual food she happily eats most of the time. But she just turns away and wont touch it.

She looks ok, nothing oozing, nothing damaged. What should I do next?

You help would be most appreciated.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Are you watching her at her home or yours?? What type of tortoise are we talking about?? Welcome to TFO!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Does she have good weight? Has she just come out of hibernation? Was she eating well for her owner, just before you took over her care?

Crusty Pie

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
She had been eating well - daily. The only problem was she would only eat if you gave her mushroom first.

She is in her usual home in her usual garden

She came out of hiberbation over 6 weeks ago

I believe she is a Greek Spur-thighed Tortoise

Her weight is good and consistant

TY

Crusty.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ty, if she is in a garden she may be feeding herself. I'd just keep a check on her weight. How long are they to be gone for?

I didn't know they could even have mushrooms. Wow, I just looked it up and it said; Wild type is poison - Duh, I will try some (Not wild type) as a treat with my Greeks. Learn something new every day here.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
As Robyn said I would just monitor her weight, it could be she is eating on her own. Depending on where you are and the tempature, that could affect her eating habits as well, just make sure she is drinking and keep offering her food.

MaBlo98

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Most common reason would be the fluctuating temps since hibernation.
My Spur thigh stops eating and goes on walkabout when she is looking for egg laying sites. Problem is if she doesnt find one she gets egg bound. (hand fed for 30years OMG!!)
I suppose the questions have all been asked

weight
where kept
temps
substrate / garden type
food offerings

I am sure she will be ok till her owners return and nip her off to the vets if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.