Tortoise with Turtle

TheLittleTurtle

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I have a baby box turtle in a 30 gallon tank. I purchased a Leopard tortoise yesterday. Will be arriving next week. They are both the same size. Leopard is a hatchling. I understand the tortoise will grow much larger. I plan to move both to a larger habitat when they out grow the tank. But until then...

Can baby box turtles and tortoise live in the same habitat?

TheLittleTurtle

Missouri
Honestly, the simple answer is a polite no. One is a tortoise, one is a turtle - entirely different species with totally different requirements for heat, food, humidity.....etc.

Different Species should never be housed/kept together.

hope that helps
Thanks. That is what I initially thought but wanted to make sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a baby box turtle in a 30 gallon tank. I purchased a Leopard tortoise yesterday. Will be arriving next week. They are both the same size. Leopard is a hatchling. I understand the tortoise will grow much larger. I plan to move both to a larger habitat when they out grow the tank. But until then...

One more unanimous vote for "no".

Here is the correct care info for a leopard tortoise:

Be aware that most breeders don't start them correctly, and most sellers don't house them correctly. Here is the usual end result of that: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Where are you getting the tortoise and how was it started right after hatching? It is heartbreaking to go through helplessly watching one die, so I would really like to help you avoid that possibility.

TheLittleTurtle

Missouri
One more unanimous vote for "no".

Here is the correct care info for a leopard tortoise:

Be aware that most breeders don't start them correctly, and most sellers don't house them correctly. Here is the usual end result of that: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Where are you getting the tortoise and how was it started right after hatching? It is heartbreaking to go through helplessly watching one die, so I would really like to help you avoid that possibility.
Thanks for the wealth of information, Tom. Very helpful! Tortoise is from Ozarks exotics. I’m driving to pick it up tomorrow. I don’t want it shipped to further the stress, so I was lucky to find someone close to me. I will post a picture tomorrow.
I have the habitat set up. It’s a 50 gallon glass for now. My husband will be making a better habitat when he has time from other construction jobs here. I will be placing the tank next to the box turtles tank as I can T off the humidifier to feed both tanks and heat pad timer, if needed.
I feed only fresh to the box turtle, and will feed the same to tortoise. I don’t eat processed junk, so I don’t feed my turtles junk.
I now have a worm compost unit of red wigglers for the box turtle. She seems to only want those. Lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

No. I had a box turtle (has been rehomed) and I have a Russian still. I had time to just sit and watch so I put them together in the same room. My tortoise would have killed the box turtle so that lasted about 2 minutes. If that.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the wealth of information, Tom. Very helpful! Tortoise is from Ozarks exotics. I’m driving to pick it up tomorrow. I don’t want it shipped to further the stress, so I was lucky to find someone close to me. I will post a picture tomorrow.
I have the habitat set up. It’s a 50 gallon glass for now. My husband will be making a better habitat when he has time from other construction jobs here. I will be placing the tank next to the box turtles tank as I can T off the humidifier to feed both tanks and heat pad timer, if needed.
I feed only fresh to the box turtle, and will feed the same to tortoise. I don’t eat processed junk, so I don’t feed my turtles junk.
I now have a worm compost unit of red wigglers for the box turtle. She seems to only want those. Lol
Before going and buying this tortoise, you need to ask how it was started. It doesn't matter how nice or healthy it looks when you are there in the store looking at it. Most of them are started too dry, and they are going to die in 6-12 weeks no matter what you do or don't do. Then, since you've had it so long, they blame you for the death, because they don't have a clue about what is going on.

Did the baby get soaked daily? Is it in a warm humid enclosure with damp substrate and a humid hide? Is it mixed with other species? Has it been outside all day? They are probably buying it from a breeder who portably starts them too dry, and then re-selling, so they probably won't know the answers to these questions. If they don't, don't buy it.

Humidifiers and heat pads should not be used with tortoises. I'm trying to guide you into a successful and fun tortoise experience, but you've got to slow down. It appears you don't have the right enclosure set up and running for a baby tortoise yet, and you are breaking rule number one: Buying from the wrong source.

TheLittleTurtle

Missouri
Honestly, I haven’t used a heat pad for my turtle and haven’t set up the heat pad on the tortoise tank. I found the humidifier keeps the substrate fairly damp and humidity levels spot on in the turtle habitat. However, my temp in the turtles habitat needs adjusting...and so do the lights.
I am not sure how the babies are started with seller. I will find out more if I can.