Tortoise with cracked shell gets $4,000 repair

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
By: The Associated Press
Updated: Apr 18, 2018 10:28 PM PDT
IMG_3589.jpg
In this Tuesday, April 17, 2018, photo, a veterinarian works on a wayward tortoise that cracked its shell after falling off a 10-foot wall in San Diego County. (San Diego County Department of Animal Services via AP)

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A wayward tortoise that cracked its shell after falling off a 10-foot wall in California is recovering after vets used screws, zip ties and denture material to repair it.

San Diego County Animal Services Director Dan DeSousa says the male 90-pound African spurred tortoise probably was a pet that got loose from a yard.

He says it was found on Sunday after falling over the wall while escaping a dog.

DeSousa says the animal’s shell cracked into three pieces. Veterinarians repaired it Tuesday in a three-hour operation.

The $4,000 cost is covered by the county’s Spirit Fund. The tortoise will live with a rescue group.

DeSousa says it will take a year to heal but the 35- to 40-year-old tortoise could have many more decades of life.

Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Salspi

Chicago
That’s a serious surgery- how’d it crack a shell that’s that strong!

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
I just saw this story too. Sad that this happened, but very glad he was repaired.
Poor tortoise.

I wonder if there is something else to the story. Even at 90lbs and a 10 feet drop, I wouldn't have expected so much damage.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
That tort sure has a story to tell. I kind of want to smack the previous owners for their carelessness! :mad:

And cheers to all the veterinarians who tapped into their inner MacGyver to fix this little dude's shell! :tort:

Reactions: orv