Tortoise was trying to poo a "fleshy sack?"

CaptainMidnight

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh
Was just sitting down and saw my tortoise trying to poo. It looked like she was struggling a lot and she was standing on her (tippie toes?) and I saw that she was trying to poo some sort of sack of meat or flesh or something. It went back in her though. I have literaly no idea wtf that was and I'm kinda freaking out thinking she was pooing her guts out or something. There wasn't any blood or anything as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any idea wtf that was? She is around 10 years old.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Was just sitting down and saw my tortoise trying to poo. It looked like she was struggling a lot and she was standing on her (tippie toes?) and I saw that she was trying to poo some sort of sack of meat or flesh or something. It went back in her though. I have literaly no idea wtf that was and I'm kinda freaking out thinking she was pooing her guts out or something. There wasn't any blood or anything as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any idea wtf that was? She is around 10 years old.
It sounds like she is actually a he. Post pictures of the tail for confirmation.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It was more than likely HIS penis, however females have been known for their female parts to come out a bit too. Has he been pooping regularly? He might be constipated, egg bound, parasite infested. Any prolonged straining causes what you saw. But also, males just growing into maturity do tend to put out their penis.

CaptainMidnight

Edinburgh
It was more than likely HIS penis, however females have been known for their female parts to come out a bit too. Has he been pooping regularly? He might be constipated, egg bound, parasite infested. Any prolonged straining causes what you saw. But also, males just growing into maturity do tend to put out their penis.

I'm pretty sure its a female since the shell part under the tail is a very curved U instead of a V. S/he has been pooping regularly, and S/he actually pooped during when that happened as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm pretty sure its a female since the shell part under the tail is a very curved U instead of a V. S/he has been pooping regularly, and S/he actually pooped during when that happened as well.
What species? How often do you soak?

What you described is a male tortoise erection. A constipated female could do something similar, but that is not the norm.

If you post pics of the tortoise's tail and anal scutes, we can sex it for you. Any concavity to the plastron?

CaptainMidnight

Edinburgh
What species? How often do you soak?

What you described is a male tortoise erection. A constipated female could do something similar, but that is not the norm.

If you post pics of the tortoise's tail and anal scutes, we can sex it for you. Any concavity to the plastron?
Its a Hermann, once a week generally. 20210712_193954.jpg20210712_193938.jpg

CaptainMidnight

Edinburgh
Yeah she poops regularly, I'm not 100% if she pooped while this was happening or if it was right after. I was kinda scrambling around so I didn't actually see everything sadly.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
well....... this sulcata at a local pet store has been there since I could ever imagine. There is a wall sign that says Harry the sulcata was born in 1995. One day.... My cousin and I, witnessed "flesh" coming out of the tail and I thought it was something threatening. SO i screamed across the pet store to the reptile guy saying *EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! this tortoise needs attention ASAP. Something is coming out of his behind and it's NOT NORMAL!!!!** I of course got yelled at but I was just trying to help. This guy who works in the reptile area is a grouch to begin with. -__- I visit the pet store to check on the torts and make sure all look well. They all know me as the crazy tortoise lady with the green primax mask!! FIY my boyfriend owns a landscaping business and I get discounts on plants. Primax is an awesome plant nursery around my area in Abington, PA.

Long story short... everyone else who was a witnesse also felt bad for Harry... but maybe it was just his Wee Wee? 0_o now I feel perverted!!

Luzmary Holt

Camarillo
It sounds like she is actually a he. Post pictures of the tail for confirmation.
Hi, I agree with other comments. The same thing happened to me. My desert sulcata which I thought i was a female turned out to be a male. The circumstances were exactly the same as you described it, I even panic as much as you, don't worry, congratulations you have a boy:)

LJL1982

UK
That sounds exactly like a male not female.