Tortoise was mid hibernation but now seems dead

Scotty0206

Location (City and/or State)
Warwickshire
My Tortoise is 12 years old and was hibernating since November in my fridge bought just for him. Checked on him today and his eye was puffy and white and blood was coming out of his nose. He is now unresponsive with his head out and legs out.... really need some help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ah geeze. I'm real sorry to say it sounds like he has died. What species tortoise is it?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, I can imagine. That's just awful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Man. That sucks.

Fumes? Freezing? New fridges sometimes have unexpected cold spots. Are you sure he was emptied out for two weeks of warm temps and soaking before you cooled him and put him in the fridge?

So sorry.

Scotty0206

Warwickshire
So the fridge I used was the same one I used the year before with no issues. So this morning his legs aren’t stiff but one eye is white and the other is red and he hasn’t moved all night

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So the fridge I used was the same one I used the year before with no issues. So this morning his legs aren’t stiff but one eye is white and the other is red and he hasn’t moved all night
With blood coming out of his nose and a red eye, it certainly seems he had a bleed of some sort, maybe in his head? I have no idea about the other eye.

Have you brought him out and given him a warm soak? Torts can appear to be dead, but aren't.

With that said, this does sound bleak. I'm so sorry.

Scotty0206

Warwickshire
With blood coming out of his nose and a red eye, it certainly seems he had a bleed of some sort, maybe in his head? I have no idea about the other eye.

Have you brought him out and given him a warm soak? Torts can appear to be dead, but aren't.

With that said, this does sound bleak. I'm so sorry.
Yeah I gave him a warm bath today but no movement, his legs aren’t stiff though but it doesn’t look good

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sad expected him to live a long life and he was so healthy :( x

I believe it would be well worth the cost for a Necropsy. I didn't do it years ago when I lost a tortoise and wished I had. Not that necropsy always gives us a cause, but often does give you something to ease the uncertainty of what went wrong. I am so very sorry for your loss, and just know you are not alone as the vast majority of us have had unexpected loss too.

Sidotis6

Temecula
My Tortoise is 12 years old and was hibernating since November in my fridge bought just for him. Checked on him today and his eye was puffy and white and blood was coming out of his nose. He is now unresponsive with his head out and legs out.... really need some help
In a fridge? How does he/she get air? Sounds like it died..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In a fridge? How does he/she get air? Sounds like it died..
Refrigerator hibernation/brumation is quite common. Respiration is very slow when a tortoise is brumating, and the air in the fridge is enough to keep him alive through the winter.

Scotty0206

Warwickshire
So sorry to hear of your sad loss. My little Hermanns is 16mths old and I have had her for about 2 months. Even after that short time I would be lost without her.
It is horrible without him. Debating my next move at the moment and working out if I can put myself through this again and get another but from a youngster this time

Russiantortgma

Olathe KS
I’m so sorry. I can imagine how hard this is. Maybe give yourself a chance to catch your breath then decide to next steps but tortoises bring so much joy - when the time is right you should definitely consider bringing a new little tort into your world .