Tortoise wandered into house... advice?

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lisle Illinois
I don't think so, Patrick. The front edge scutes (sorry I don't know their name) in your turtle are smooth, while the front scutes on the 'wandered-into-my-house' turtle have a very pretty scallop to them.
There are variations in nature, hopefully he will post more pictures to be sure but that's my opinion.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's just gorgeous! I love it. Please let us know the outcome of this story.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Certainly in the taxa of heosemys. Being in SIngapore you have a wide variety of heosemys. Could you provide a photo of the plastron (Underside) along with some sort of measuring tape to gauge size. Its looks more Spinoza to me than grandis.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Certainly in the taxa of heosemys. Being in SIngapore you have a wide variety of heosemys. Could you provide a photo of the plastron (Underside) along with some sort of measuring tape to gauge size. Its looks more Spinoza to me than grandis.
Dang! You beat me to it. I too thought Heosemys spinosa as soon as I saw it. I admit the the argument for grandis made me look twice for a second, but I am relatively certain this is an adult spinosa.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Dang! You beat me to it. I too thought Heosemys spinosa as soon as I saw it. I admit the the argument for grandis made me look twice for a second, but I am relatively certain this is an adult spinosa.
Ha! I thought you'd show up soon. :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks incredibly old too. The carapace scutes are nice and weathered! Even seeing many many wild collected mature specimens, I have never seen one with such wear. Very nice to know and see an old specimen.

To the OP this species is endangered and should be placed in the correct area. Is there a protected wildlife park or nature center near you?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
SO!!! I was right. It's a Rare and Protected Spinosa. Knew it.

lol.

What a precious find. Please be a turtle Hero and have this sweetheart released in its correct, natural habitat ASAP!

Joo

5 Year Member
Hi, I had PMed you. In case you did not rec, you may contact ACRES wildlife rescue @ 65 97837782 (24 Hrs)
OR Singapore Zoological Garden where they have a dept for tortoises.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Looks incredibly old too. The carapace scutes are nice and weathered! Even seeing many many wild collected mature specimens, I have never seen one with such wear. Very nice to know and see an old specimen.

To the OP this species is endangered and should be placed in the correct area. Is there a protected wildlife park or nature center near you?
Yeah exactly. It's just an older and weathered specimen.
Sometimes, these guys are so weathered that they even lose that dorsal stripe that this one still has.

Soco71

Orange County NY
It could also be Spiny Hill Turtle they look similar to the giant Asian pond turtle but have the spines on the shell.