Tortoise wagging tail

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi, I’m new to this forum. Yesterday Michelle (my 2 year old marginated tortoise) wagged her tail. Does anyone know what this could mean? She has never done this before. Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They sometimes do this right before pooping

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nope. that's the reason they wag the tail. Maybe he's constipated.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
. Hi, Michelle didn’t have a poo after she wagged her tail. Any other suggestions?

I will sometimes sit and watch the torts here....and on numerous occasions I have observed the tail wag....sometimes during them pooing, but also at other times....the outside Desert Torts will wag on a super hot day if I put the hose on and begin spraying their enclosure...after a few minutes it would appear that they "smell" or "feel" the water spray and will come out of their burrow and simply walk about in the water wagging and will find a forming puddle and plop down in it and wag with their head lifted out of the water...after they get wet a bit they will just get up and walk right back to their burrow and back down in...wagging the walk back......I also have observed the Red foot tortoise here doing the same behavior when they are out in the enclosure during the right weather here..