Tortoise twins 1 deformed

Sophie1985

5 Year Member
Hi, thought I would share my experience of a twin tortoise egg. I always knew this egg was a twin from the beginning and on day 87!!! This was the first to hatch, it didn't make any progress after 48 hours so knowing it was the twin I gave it a little help but was unsure what to expect. This is the first time I have incubated egg! image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Underneath the perfectly formed tortoise was a small deformed one, however it was alive!

There was hardly any yolk left and from what I had read I needed to separate them, which I done by using some sterilised thread and cut through the middle. The deformed tortoise died pretty quick....so sad. But healthy one looks to be doing well and is healing, I have put some antiseptic round the belly button. He is still in the incubator on some damp kitchen towel, he has had a drink and is quite active. So I'm hoping he will be ok!

Shakudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Wow... I actually got a bit emotional reading this. Seeing the little underdeveloped tortoise was so touching.

I first thought, why not go to a vet asap, but I can imagine it was life or death for both of them on the spot.
So I respect the fact you made this hard choice, I really hope your surviving baby fares well.

Take care,

Joey

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow, amazing he's doing so well! Very surprised the twin was alive too... Congrats, he's really cute :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, sad, but like already said, had the deformed one lived, it would have had a hard life and probably wouldn't have been able to live long. Probably best he died right away. I am very surprised it was even alive. Good luck with the other one and you did good for your first clutch.

M

Maggie Cummings

"Wow... I actually got a bit emotional reading this. Seeing the little underdeveloped tortoise was so touching.".......me too!

What a story complete with pictures and a heroine, how hard for you. You did good congrats!

Sophie1985

5 Year Member
Hi thanks for your replies. I decided to take him to the vets yesterday as I'm not sure I had cut enough away...couldn't bring myself to do it again. The vet removed a little more and suggested putting him in the terranium on damp kitchen roll so he could dry out..bathing him in a little salt water .pleased to say I have taken him out the container this evening and put him with his brothers as looks to be healing really well. He has been drinking, eating and digging!

I knew they were twins so I read everything I could but nothing surprised me more than him being alive. Egg number 4 is so nearly out, then I am just waiting for number 5.

The whole thing is so amazing. Can't wait to do it again! Just hopefully with no hiccups next time!

Flipper

MO, USA
Your very brave! Way to keep your wits about you! Big hug! Thanks for all the pics :)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
You did a fantastic jib in a very difficult situation.
Sorry for the deformed guy's death! Thanks to you the other one sounds nice and healthy!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Obviously The little one was not developed enough to make it. You did what you had to to save the bigger one and that takes a lot of courage. In nature probably neither one would've made it. I'm sorry that you had to deal with this but you did the right thing. Good job.

TeguBuzz

5 Year Member
Texas
Great thread and pics, pretty interesting. Glad the other guy made it.